We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm in a dilemma

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
I'm in a dilemma

Hi

I'm hoping someone or some body would help me make a decision, I'm also hoping someone has been to both Cayo santa maria and Varadaro specifically Hotels Melia Cayo Santa Maria and Blau Varadaro which 1 is best for 2 50yr olds

9 replies to this topic
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
7,810 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: I'm in a dilemma

if it's your first time in Cuba, and you just want to stay on resort then either should be good. If you like to get off resort and experience the culture of Cuba then pick the Blau, Varadero town is a good off resort option (5 cuc each person to get there for a visit) and you're only a couple of hours away from Havana which is a great excursion.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: I'm in a dilemma

Been to both areas....stayed at the Blau in Varadero...but different hotel in Santa Maria....

Santa Maria is more laid back....quieter and more secluded. Varadero defn is more happening and more to see and do during the day and nght off the resort.

Santa Maria is also about a 90 min drive from the airport which may be something to consider as well.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: I'm in a dilemma

HfxJohn

Thank You For Your Reply

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: I'm in a dilemma

Monctonguy

Thank You For Reply

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: I'm in a dilemma

We have been to both areas, not those resorts. If you want to just relax, mellow out and mostly stay on a resort, Cayo Santa Maria would be ideal, but if you want to leave the resort, maybe have a meal in town, see some sights, maybe do a side trip to Havana, I would go with Blau Varadero. Now saying that, our choice would be Varadero, because we like going off resort, everyone is different..

swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
263 reviews
6. Re: I'm in a dilemma

We are of a similar age to yourselves and have recently returned from 2 weeks at the Blau Varadero and really could not fault it,only a 40 minute transfer from the airport and as said above if you do fancy getting out of the complex for a night or two then the town is only a short taxi or classic car journey away.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: I'm in a dilemma

Thank you to everyone that has replied

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,621 posts
148 reviews
8. Re: I'm in a dilemma

Been to both areas. Love the MCSM on Cayo Santa Maria. Great for relaxing and socking up the sun. Stayed at the old Riu Turquesa in Varadero. Was nice, but busy.Depends what your looking for.

Cheers

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
292 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: I'm in a dilemma

We have been to Blau Varadero and Royalton Cayo Santa Maria . Cayo Santa Maria is a long drive, 90 minutes from the airport . We did not mind the drive . You are more isolated in Cayo Santa Maria , but it is beautiful . We have been to Varadero five times and prefer being able to go to town.The Blau is very nice , it was clean and the food was very good, the staff were very friendly. We love both, and would go back to both .

Reply to: I'm in a dilemma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted