We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

viazul - still running?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
viazul - still running?

hi there,

jumped on the viazul website today and noticed it's down? can anyone advise if the viazul service is still running in cuba? we'll be using it to get from havana to trinidad next month.

also - is it better to book the tickets online before we leave, or can you just buy them on the spot? don't want to risk missing out is all.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: viazul - still running?

The country would (almost) grind to a halt and it would be headline news if the Viazul stopped, so yes, even without first hand knowledge I'm sure it's still running.

Like anything in Cuba the website goes down every now and then.

Personally I like making a reservation directly once I've arrived, but that's just me. I don't trust Cuban websites.

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: viazul - still running?

oh really?? do you find them a bit unreliable? we booked our accommodation through cuban websites. hope there's a reservation for us when we arrive...

:/

thanks for the info re the viazul. will ask someone at the hotel when we check in to book us in.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: viazul - still running?

I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just cynical. Lots of things don't work face-to-face in Cuba so a website just makes things worse sometimes. In any case it's easy to call in a reservation once you're there - and who knows, depending on where you're staying and where you're going perhaps Viazul isn't even the best choice!

Which hotel are you at?

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: viazul - still running?

staying at hotel sevilla in havana for the first 2 nights, then hoping to bus to trinidad where we're staying at a casa particular for another 2 nights then viazul back to havana and staying at hotel nacional for the last night in cuba.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 14:53
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: viazul - still running?

Okay, I'm going to save you some time/hassle and money.

Forget the Viazul. Simply walk over to the Inglaterra Hotel (3 minutes from the Sevilla.) Go in the front door, make an immediate left, then turn right into the internet cafe. On the wall to your right will be two desks. The desk on the right is the Cubanacan representative. The Cubanacan bus leaves the Inglaterra every morning for Trinidad. Modern bus, air conditioned, etc. for 20 CUC one way. They even give you a complementary water.

Best of all you can buy the ticket in advance. Unlike Viazul it's a "real" ticket with your name on it and everything. Your seat is 100% confirmed.

Nice bonus, you don't need to take a taxi all the way out to the Viazul Station.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: viazul - still running?

Whoops, just remembered the 20 CUC is for Cienfuegos. Trinidad is another hour further, might be 25 CUC.

Have fun in Trinidad, it's a lovely little town.

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: viazul - still running?

The booking engine on the Viazul website has been down for many weeks now. The website itself is operational and up to date.

Also Terry the Conectando bus (book from all large hotels) to Trinidad is 25CUC.

Need to book by 300pm the day before and pick-ups/drop-offs to/from Sevillia and Nacional

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: viazul - still running?

...and yes the Viazul buses are running as per normal.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: viazul - still running?

Fidel, do you remember who operates the Conectando buses? I assume you book through one of the tour desks, correct? I meant to look into them last trip but never got around to it...

I ended up using taxis for a LOT of the travel this time. They are so cheap now and so long as you make things very clear with the driver and check out the vehicle closely before shaking on the deal then they're way better than the bus...

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: viazul - still running?

Conectando Cuba is also Cubanacan Terry.

Yes from the tour desks in hotels or their dedicated offices in some cities. identical prices to Viazul.

Much better service.

But I agree re taxis - and have been saying so for several years but even more so since the changed regs. re taxi particulares. We consistently find that a GOOD taxi particular costs around 3 times a single Viazul/Connectando bus fare.

Fot that you are getting car plus driver with great flexiblity during the journey and absolute door to door!