We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuban Adventures Tours

perth
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Cuban Adventures Tours

Has anyone used this company and can I please have any feedback. Their website looks great and just what I am looking for - a grassroots, well informed but comfortable tour. Are there any alternative tour companies that you can recommend?

Thanks

159 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Why don't you post a link.

Cheers,

Terry

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Are you referring to this company?

http://www.cubagrouptour.com/

perth
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Hi ddcuba37

This is the company I am referring to.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Never heard of them but their website is one of the best I've seen. Usually websites like this are packed with misinformation but a cursory glance shows they know what they're talking about.

I'm always a little taken back by the cost of group tours compared to well researched independent travel, but if that's what your after then their prices are certainly reasonable, especially compared to the crazy expensive fully hosted trips that are available to Americans.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

I just got back from their 3 week tour 'Complete Cuba' a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful. I'm definitely going to go again to Cuba, and will probably try and do another of their tours at some point then.

They're really flexible and you don't pay upfront for excursons which means you can decide once you get to each place depending on what you feel like doing, the people you're with etc. It's entirely up to you.

The guide taking us around was fantastic, as was the group I travelled with - felt more like a group of friends not long into the trip. I learnt a lot about the place while I was there and there's plenty of opportunities to meet people. Definitely worth learning some Spanish and salsa either before or early on while you're there. I went for a week before the tour and did some basic lessons which really helped.

Most of the trip involves staying at homestays where people were always really friendly and the food was so much better. Actually in general food was better in Cuba than I'd heard before I went with really great fresh produce.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

We're planning our first trip to Cuba and considering doing one of these tours. Looking at G Adventures, Intripid and also Cuban Adventures. There will be four or five of us in our group. Three gals (2 mid-fifties, one mid 60's) all fairly fit, well travelled and adventurous, and my daughter (31) and son (28).

What were the ages of your group? How much extra (US$) should we allow per person for food, and for excursions?

How much time was spent in the bus?

We're thinking of doing an 8 day trip.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Philipsburg, St...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Cuban Adventures all the way. I just did their 8 Day Original Tour and it was great. Guide was Ossie.

They really know what they are doing and they deal with small groups. I travelled alone. 28 year old female. Couldn't have expected more. Book with Meria and she will take care of everything!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

I can't recommend Cuban Adventures highly enough. We chose them because after reading their and other websites, and reviews, it seemed they were the most engaged with the locals and the culture. They were also cheaper than Explore - probably because of staying in Casas rather than hotels - which was just what we wanted. In fact the 2 nights we spent in hotels were the worst.

Their guides are extremely efficient and knowledgeable and organised. We were treated to a couple of extra events - picnic on the beach, and a hog spitroast on the riverbank - which were highlights, and not even in the programme.

We were only 8, and that helped it to feel like we weren't being herded, but were more like a large family.

Even the minibus journeys were enjoyable - so much to see out of the window!

I don't think you could do any better. Can't think of any downsides!

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Firstly let me say that my dealings with Cuban Adventures pre tour were great but once the tour was happening I think they let the ball down. My sense is that Cuban Adventures know how to take your money but the service they provided was questionable. They like to play on the line that things change "because this is Cuba"- but that's bull - Cuban Adventures have the tour down pat and know exactly what they are doing.

Cuban Adventures promote their tour on the basis of having great experiences with Cubans and especially in the homestays - that isn't the case. You can see on the faces of the homestay operators that you are just another nondescript tourist in an endless line. I'd be ok with that if Cuban Adventures had prepared me with honest insights into what to expect not promises of "great experiences".

Burnt out homestay operators who walking into our room to close windows, the smallest and oldest towels - I wouldn't use on a dog, polyester sheets - seriously its the tropics for goodness sakes, spiders - the list goes on. A homestay room is paid by the room not the number of people staying but Cuban adventures expect you to pay extra for a room by yourself - otherwise you have to share - (same sex singles share a room). and its not homestay its more B and B. Cuban Adventures also promotes eating at the homestay - the food was always the same, boring and bland - and comparatively expensive - and served away for the family so you don't get to interact.

For my money Cuban adventures needs to promote homestays as B and B's.

Aside from the homestays, Tte hotel accommodation they provide is the cheapest they can find (they promise you the five star National hotel and stick you in the minus three star Victoria and the equally disgusting Hotel Isle of Cuba) without the slightest issue - hideous hotels - eat breakfast at our own risk and be wary of leaning on any surfaces as they might just collapse.

The transport - usually on time - was often cramped and would drop you off and disappear - so you don't have options to use the transport for any of your own touring - this is very annoying.

Cuban adventures say they have their own guides but in fact they use a service provider - they do not manage the guides or ensure the quality. (This provider also hires guides to intrepid). The tour guide Cuban Adventures gave us for the first 16 days was 23 years old and on his 10th straight consecutive tour - that's 160 days straight on tour with only 25 days at home -whilst he was a lovely boy - he was burnt out and very tired and didn't get the needs of our group. We had an average age of 50. I can give you 40 plus examples of where he wasn't able to relate to our groups needs - An elderly couple wanted to get a taxi to a restaurant but he said it wasn't far and we wouldn't be able to fit everyone in a taxi so we should walk - it was 1/2 hour away. He took us to restaurants that overcharged. He didn't want to go to the gardens as he finds it boring so he did nothing to make that happen, he wouldn't organise salsa lessons or other activities that he wasn't interested in. The second tour guide for the 8 day component was a drunken argumentative leech who hit on members of the tour party - very unprofessional.

The 8 day tour to Maria La Gorda and Vinales is a complete rip off -it is a five day tour with three days spent in Havana. Unless you want to go diving Maria La Gorda (while nice) is just a beach a long way for anywhere and you can get to Vinales by yourself with no trouble and for a lot less money.

My thoughts are that Cuban Adventures build up expectations that they can not match

The upside of taking the tour is that it was great not to have to worry about transport, I got to meet lots of nice people on the tour bus and I got to see lots of Cuba.

The downs - the accommodation, the quality of the tour guides, the endless pressure to eat at the home stay, sharing a room, half the activities on the info sheets didn't exist, not being able to use the bus for any needs, and every interaction with locals was about getting as much money out of you as possible.

I think Cuban Adventures should update their info sheets, provide better tour guides and spend a couple of weeks on tour incognito to witness first hand some of the issues.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 11:54
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuban Adventures Tours

Anybody selling group tours and offering in the first line to 'Discover the 'real' Cuba' is promising something naive. Very difficult for any first time visitor to dive beneath the surface of Cuba and close to impossible for a group of tourists moving around with a guide.

Anyway, weird thread. Like the others about this company. Always lots of new posters with no TA history going bezerk with praise about this company. I won't tell people what to conclude, I take it TA removes posts from people posting fake reviews under multiple names.

tripadvisor.in/…50011974

The only one with a negative review about them have more posts (22) than all the 6-8 positive reviewers combined. These would be the odd traveler-type who never signs up to TA to ask a single question before going on a trip to Cuba, but somehow signs up aftwerwards to post long, glowing, over the top reviews.

Reply to: Cuban Adventures Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted