We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Where to go

Hi!

I was looking at going to Barbados next year with my OH, however will be avoiding there with the current situation... Can anyone recommend somewhere else that is hot, has nice beaches and a decent nightlife ( me and my OH love bar crawls and good restaurants)... Please note that we would be going end of July/ August and our budget is £3800 for both of us - not that bothered about AI...

21 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Where to go

May we ask why your OH does not want to go to Barbados--- is it the sewage issue? -- if so -- it is only relevant to a very small section of the south coast - probably less than one sq mile --- and since the island is 166 sq ml - is it really worth ignoring a wonderful holiday destination?

The West coast of Barbados has never had sewage issues - and only very very rarely any long lasting problems with sargassum weed either ---

How about a re-think? Eh See link below to problem sewage area

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer…

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Where to go

I can recommend the west coast of Barbados, It has everything you are asking for and more. Have a look around Holetown for good night life.

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
3. Re: Where to go

I have done quite a bit of research about it and i don't think there aren't as many restaurants/ bars as we would like... unless i am wrong? Would have to check the prices around there as last time I have checked it was out of our budget.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Where to go

Holetown has at least 30 bars and restaurants in walking distance plus 2 night clubs and various Late Night Bars - plus within a couple of stops on the bus there are more - and there are about 15 or so in the Paynes Bay area too -- Not enough???

Have a look at the All Seasons Resort in Sunset Crest - or Tropical Sunset Beachfront studio apt Hotel - or even the Art Studio condos --- all very budget friendly and there is Discovery Bay either AI or non AI too

Edited: 31 May 2018, 00:24
yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Where to go

You seem quite negative about barbados so I'm not sure why you would come on the forum for others to give you alternative ideas. Harsh as it may seem, we are not travel agents.

However, I suggest ibiza. Especially if you like bar crawls..

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Where to go

Have a look around the St Lawrence gap area lots of choices and Dover beach if great

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
7. Re: Where to go

I am not negative at all - just read a lot of negative reviews/comments on this forum the last few days and i wouldn't want to pay so much money just to be dissapointed. Many people who have traveled to Barbados also most likely traveled to similar destinations - i am not being harsh at all. Really wanted to go there but i am a huge health freak and get paranoid easily.

Not that into Ibiza but thanks :)

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,289 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Where to go

apparently the entire Caribbean is being affected by this year's Sargassum seaweed bloom according to link below

noonsite.com/Countries/Dominica/outlook-of-s…

However --- the west coast of Barbados is normally remarkably fortunate and rarely is trouble by weed drifting ashore (it can happen - but if it does - it is not normally a long lasting event)

6 posts
9. Re: Where to go

Hi.

I'm a regular traveller to Barbados.

I live in Malaga, Spain and I am going to Garrison on the 1st of June.

The sewage problem is mainly close to the St. Lawrence gap area and Worthing Beach, Accra beach areas.

They drain the swamp and during this time the beach will be off limits.

Just stay further north, on the west coast.

Barbados is fantastic, people (99%) are really friendly and welcomming.

Sewage issues occur world wide.

Believe me, if you have never been to Barbados, go once and you WILL return many times more !

yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Where to go

Good to know you're not being negative. But who know what the seaweed or any other "health" situation will be like in july/august next year.

All I can say is barbados is a beautiful island. Relax and go see for yourself...

Reply to: Where to go
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted