We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spectacular scooter crash

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spectacular scooter crash

See article in the Gazette. Tourist fell 15 feet into the water after hitting a wall near Scaur Hill.

10 replies to this topic
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

every year at least one tourist dies in a scooter accident, hopefully this person will be fine. take the bus and ferry instead.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 06:04
USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

I recall an 80 year old male tourist who died in a single vehicle motor scooter accident along the South Road, near the Warwick Long Bay--South Shore Park entrance last year....but I can't recall any other tourist/motor scooter deaths in the four or five years prior to that (a mother riding with her daughter...mother died/daughter seriously injured)...and these events tend to get a lot of notice when they do occasionally occur.

I do recall that there have several tourists who've died while snorkeling and scuba diving in Bermuda over the past couple/few years and one that was killed while walking along Pitts Bay Road in West Pembroke. I can't recall when I last heard of a tourist dying on a golf course in Bermuda.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 06:14
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

catch the bus to a golf course!

USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

S__tuff happens sometimes...even on vacation.

United States
Level Contributor
27,386 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

Wow. I guess you’re at least glad it wasn’t you or someone in your family.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 11:52
USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

NO...but I am sorry that it was ANYONE (at the moment ALMOST anyone)...in ANY family.....which still doesn't change (no by so much as an iota) the plain, simple and UN-alterable FACT that bad s__tuff happens to good people....even on vacation.

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

Just to clarify one point made above. There have been NO SCUBA diving deaths involving guests to the island in at least the last 4 years. True there was one involving a guest who was on a snorkeling excursion (as I recall) and a couple involving guests swimming and in all cases (again I think my recollection is correct) they had heart attacks while in the water. Safety, for those of us in the diving industry, really is job one.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

the lady referenced in the scooter crash as of today is stable in the icu.

the vast majority of tourist deaths on the water are heart attacks and not really the fault of anyone.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

Apparently she has now been airlifted overseas for treatment.

USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spectacular scooter crash

More than once, as I've ridden along the Somerset Road atop the saddle of a rental moped or motor scooter I've become dangerously distracted by the incredibly beautiful views--Ely's Harbour, Mangrove Bay, Great Sound, western ocean--all along the route.

Reply to: Spectacular scooter crash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted