We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reminising

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Reminising

ON THE PINK FERRY RUN on Hamilton Harbour there was a stop on demand at a large house between Salt Kettle and lower ferry I think .

Is that still the case ?

The house was owne I think at the time in 1990 by Duncan who was in real estate and Diana who was with the Tourist Board

older Morley's of Australia

10 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Reminising

If there ever was...there isn't one now. There is (or at least was) an on-demand stop along the PINK--Hamilton-Paget-Warwick public ferry route at HINSON'S ISLAND (across from the BELMONT ferry stop)....but I don't recall any other on-demand stops along the route.

USA
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Reminising

You are aware that there is (and has for several decades) been a regular PINK route ferry stop between the LOWER FERRY dock and the SALT KETTLE dock ??---HODSON'S FERRY...at the old Newstead Hotel (now: Newsted-Belmont Hills Hotel).

On some runs of the PINK route, when there are few passengers aboard (most usually in the evenings) and no one aboard disembarking or waiting at the dock to embark at a ferry stop....the harbour ferry may slow but by-pass individual stops.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
148 reviews
3. Re: Reminising

... in the 1970’s the old Belmont Hotel was our retreat each last week of May ... there was a regular ferry stop at the hotel and directly across was Hinson Island which was a frequent if not regular stop ... I recall hearing that the original illustrator of Alice in Wonderland produced those drawings in his home there ... it seems the house described by the OP may be an AirBnB ...

https://abnb.me/bN3lkBBuPM ...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
148 reviews
4. Re: Reminising

... OPPS! ... it was the illustrator of Wizard of Oz (not Alice in Wonderland) W. W. Denslow who once owned Hinson Island ...

Southampton Parish...
Level Contributor
119 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Reminising

The only stop that exists between Salt Kettle and lower ferry is the Newstead Ferry Stop - is that the one you are thinking about?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Reminising

Still stops at Hinson Island on request.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Reminising

Thanks for all the suggestions / answers . I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I should look at Google Earth and see what s there and I think it was the house depicted at Hodson's Ferry. The stop had a grand old house on it w complete with " Slaves cottage " if that helps narrow it down

USA
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Reminising

Take a look at this Bermuda property mapping site to see if anything looks or sounds familiar in recollection--

http://www.landvaluation.bm/

....use PAGET Parish....HARBOUR ROAD...#27....for the Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel and Hodson's Ferry Dock as your start point

USA
Level Contributor
30,355 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Reminising

P.S....#39 is the HODSON'S FERRY dock....the large home you may be looking for may be #45 Harbour Road...'..HODSON HOUSE..' (??)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Reminising

Thanks for all your suggestions . Would be good if Google earth had more definition for it's Bermuda cover or am I used to better definition for what they depict for Australia . Eveb the professional version has inferior definition

Reply to: Reminising
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted