We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The adventures of flying

New York
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The adventures of flying

My husband and I flew to Aruba Monday April 30th on Delta at 8:30am from JFK. We had TSA pre check so that was a breeze. There were not that many people at the gate. Once on the plane it was obvious that the plane was pretty empty. Probably half full. We usually go in the Fall and the plane is full. It was great to be able to lie down in a row of seats to sleep. We got in 1/2 hour early. There was a long line for Aruba customs once you got up the escalator. At the hotel when I opened my suitcase there was a TSA card that my suitcase had been searched. Okay. On the return trip home we tried to check in the night before and get our boarding passes. My husband was able to check in, but not me. It said I had to check in at the airport. We got to the airport and I checked in at the kiosk. I got my boarding pass. Once we were at the second security check after US customs I was pulled from the line to be searched. Huh? My husband was wheeling my carry on bag so that stayed with him. They pulled me and two other younger women to the front to be hand searched. They took a wand to my pocket book and shopping bag that held hats and my purchases. After that strange experience we made it to the gate where 6 peoples names were called including mine. Now what?? I went to the agent and she gave me a new boarding pass since my original one had been flagged for me to be searched. If you can't do the pre check the night before you may end up being searched like I was.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
11 replies to this topic
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The adventures of flying

I don’t think we’ve ever been to Aruba without someone in our party being searched. Usually it is I. Since the TSA is always extremely courteous and often apologetic, it doesn’t bother me.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
New York
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The adventures of flying

This has never happened to us in all the years of going to Aruba. We have been there with friends many times. They also picked two other women. I think it was a random thing as none of us looked suspicious. I have a bad knee and was limping so it was a little annoying. They certainly weren't apologetic. I just wanted to give a heads up in case you can't confirm your flight the night before. There is a good chance you will be searched.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 12:22
Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The adventures of flying

This happened to me last year. They showed me on the boarding slip the code that indicated a random search. They were very friendly and I actually was done before my husband as I had been pulled out of the line. I appreciate what TSA must do to keep our flights safe.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The adventures of flying

That happened to me in Barbados. I was pulled aside before I got on my plane and searched. Then when I got to JFK (no USA Customs in Barbados) I was searched again. My son was 3 at the time and was very upset that he couldnt be with me. It was a PITA.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The adventures of flying

It's all random and part of the security process - I know it's inconvenient, but it does make me feel better that they do this. We recently came back from Georgetown, Bahamas and my husband was chosen randomly to be searched when we were checking in at the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The adventures of flying

This happened to me when I traveled to Aruba the first time in 2016. My first trip to Aruba was also a solo trip, as the friend I was to travel with cancelled at the last minute. On the way home to the states, that's when I was pulled out just as I was about to clear customs. I was told very specifically--and "politely" that young women don't travel alone unless it's for some "other" reason. The asked me where I worked (how can you afford this trip?) and what kind of education I had. After they searched my things, they let me go, but their words were more intrusive than the search. The second time I went with my husband and children there was no search. We'll see what happens this third time coming up.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The adventures of flying

26x and we have never been pulled....hoping my streak continues, lol.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The adventures of flying

This happened to me. When my boarding pass printed, it had a code indicating I was selected for "special screening." I had to wait a bit at first, but they pushed me quickly through the scanner, so overall it did not take longer. One agent searched my one small carryon bag, while the other agent got a surprise searching me. I was wearing a skimpy tank top and short shorts, so the agent gave up his pat down after only a couple of seconds. This random process is ineffective in creating greater safety, but it does provide employment.

Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The adventures of flying

My husband was also searched and had to go in another line. No big deal, just took about 10 extra minutes if that and I had to wait for him in one of the chairs nearby. Wasn't really a hassle or anything.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The adventures of flying

Lovetoski- I think you were just unlucky. In all of our 26 trips we have NEVER printed boarding passes prior to arriving at the airport and we have never been searched either.

Reply to: The adventures of flying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted