We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

power outage 5/11

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
power outage 5/11

Has power been restored to the island? We stayed at Divi Phoenix and the power flickered at around 9:30am but the resort backup generator kicked in so we didn't realize the extent of it until getting to the airport. 3pm flight, arrived 11:45 at airport to drop off rental car and then saw the longest lines of my life. American Airlines in particular had no kiosks open so the line to check baggage took 2 hours and the customs line was outside very far back. Flight ended up taking off after 4pm. Surprised no one posted about this.

Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach...
2,049 Reviews
Aruba
Aruba ATV Tour with Natural Pool Swim
250 Reviews
from USD 79.50*
Aruba Catamaran Sail with Snorkeling
218 Reviews
from USD 45.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Island Ultimate Safari
528 Reviews
from USD 106.99*
USD 111.78
12 replies to this topic
Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: power outage 5/11

I am at the Divi Golf. Power was restored here around mid afternoon. The airport must havre been awful.

Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,082 Reviews
Aruba
Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: power outage 5/11

We were at the airport as well. What a disaster! We had a Southwest flight scheduled to leave at 1:30 that didn't leave until 2:30 and surprisingly, everyone made it! How incredibly unorganized the airport was. We were in those same lines that seemed to never end and there was NO communication from airport personnel along the way. Very disappointing and the total opposite of what we experienced last year! We were at LaCabana and the generator only was in the lobby - not the individual rooms.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: power outage 5/11

We were there as well. It was the worst airport expierence of my life. We arrived at the airport T 10:30am for a 1:55pm flight. We stood in line after line for over four hours. Then an airport employee got us out of line because our flight was leaving. We ran through the airport and just made it on the plane. American Airlines was the only airline not hainding out water to their passengers while waiting in line. And then when we tried to order a sandwich on during the flight we were told they had run out of sandwiches. I think it’s a disgrace the way American Airlines treated their passengers. We will never use the again.

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: power outage 5/11

The communication was definitely lacking and I was amazed the airport didn’t have a proper plan to not let this get out of control. It was a very upsetting way to end a great vacation and a lot of people most likely ended up missing connections as a result. The real travesty was American Airlines. They had no urgency and I felt really bad for the elderly, people with small children, etc. 4 hours of standing in slow lines not knowing if flights had taken off anyways.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 07:02
Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: power outage 5/11

Does any ne know if power has been restored on the island?

Southampton, PA
Level Contributor
150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: power outage 5/11

Losing power can be a real challenge.

What did American Airlines do that upset you? Surely they're not responsible for in-airport operations.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: power outage 5/11

Yes all the power is back.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: power outage 5/11

When there is some sort of "problem" it appears no one is in charge.

Glad flights were held. There was a problem in Maui. Fire alarms went off. Clear the airport. Yeah!

Finally got re screened and planes left. No one seemed in charge.

Hope you trip was good.

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: power outage 5/11

Saturday 5/13. 30 minutes to get through the airport. Sitting in the crying room.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: power outage 5/11

Thank you

Reply to: power outage 5/11
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted