We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car or no rental car???

Plainfield...
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Rental car or no rental car???

Really don't like driving in unfamiliar places but I am considering renting a car for upcoming trip to MVC Eagle beach hotel. I realized when I made reservation that we are located a few miles from most everything but have no problem paying for taxis to get to restaurants/night life. That being said I also have no problem renting a cheap car as long as it's easy to navigate the island and also if there is free parking available. Last thing I want to do is pay to rent a car and then end up paying more for parking then I would on taxis. Anybody have any thoughts???

11 replies to this topic
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

You don’t NEED a car. Taxis are easy to get and prices are regulated so you don’t have to worry about getting ripped off. Buses are also a good choice and are a decent option moving from low rise to high rise to downtown. Personally, I like having the ultimate freedom of a car. We go to all our favorite restaurants, grocery stores, exploring, etc whenever we feel like it without any planning.

It’s all a personal preference.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

Its very easy to get around the island and I think a car is a great idea to rent a car for at least your 1st trip to explore the island.

Plainfield...
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
3. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

Have read that there is plenty of free parking available. Is this true?

MD
Level Contributor
802 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

I would never go back to Aruba and NOT rent a car. There are just too many other beaches to check out and restaurants to go to. We love to pack a cooler full of drinks and food and drive to Arashi, Malmok, Boca Catalina, and Baby Beach and have beach days there rather than hang on Eagle Beach or Palm beach every day. We typically eat out every night too so we drive to dinner places, as well as being able to drive to Super Foods to get more food/beer/liquor whenever necessary.

Parking everywhere is free other than maybe downtown in that lot, but I believe even there only some spots are pay. I am not certain about that though. Oh and there are some lots in Palm Beach that charge like a few bucks or something really miniscule and I believe stores will validate parking too. But there is also free parking in Palm Beach too in some spots too.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

We just came back and rented a car for the 6 days we were there. I don’t feel you need to rent a car but I was glad we did. We went to a few places that were not right in the immediate area so the car came in handy. We were in the high-rise section and you’ll be in the lowrise section which I think you tend to need the car more in the lowrise section. We also went and toured baby beach and downtown on our own. So I would definitely rent a car again when we go back. I think by the time you spend all your cab fares to and from hotel and to all your restaurants the cost is almost the same.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
284 reviews
6. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

Easy to drive. Rent a car for your ease.

Try Tropic.

TN
Level Contributor
78 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

If you don't like driving you don't need to rent a car. We usually take taxis to get groceries. There are several great restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. Eagle Beach is a four minute walk. You can always take a tour to see the rest of the island,

NJ
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

If you are a drinker, take taxis!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

Definitely rent a car if you are staying on Eagle beach unless you plan on staying mainly in that area and doing excursions where the tour operators would do pickup/drop off. Taxis are very expensive so costs add up quickly. Island is easy to navigate and roads are well paved.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
119 reviews
10. Re: Rental car or no rental car???

We were there two years ago and stayed in the low rise area (Bucuti). We did one tour where we were picked up at our hotel. Otherwise, we took a cab, including to the grocery store. They are plentiful, clean, and cheap. I drive 25,000 miles a year for work....the last thing I want to do on vacation is more driving. I can see why others feel differently, but to me, there is no need to rent a car.

Reply to: Rental car or no rental car???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted