We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

NJ
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

Has anyone used any of these agencies. ?They have about the same price for the car I need just would like to know which would be best. Any thoughts ?

Aruba ATV Tour with Natural Pool Swim
249 Reviews
from USD 79.50*
Aruba Catamaran Sail with Snorkeling
215 Reviews
from USD 45.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Island Ultimate Safari
526 Reviews
from USD 106.99*
USD 111.78
9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

I've never used them, but I've heard and read universally terrible things about them. I'm a fan of Yess rental car, but there are plenty of other independent car rental businesses on the island. A search for car rental on this forum will yield plenty of options that are likely far better than the big-name agencies.

MD
Level Contributor
677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

I would never use Thrifty ever again in Aruba. I won't be using them ever again in general probably based on my experiences with them in Aruba. Basically they forced us to pay $200 in the insurance if we wanted to leave wit the car. Considering it was a 12 person van and we had 8 people, 6 adults and 2 kids, we weren't going to argue since chances of finding the same sized car wasn't too likely.

I used Yes in November and will be using them from now on. I was out of the airport very quickly after a 5 minute inspection of the vehicle and we were on our way. On the way back we just left the car in a parking spot, locked the keys inside, and we were on our way. Oh and it was $300 cheaper (after the forced $200 insurance) than Thrifty for the same exact van (Hyuandi H1) but it was in WAY better shape and was newer and much nicer.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

You are better off with the smaller local car rental companies. Our first year in Aruba we wanted a well known reputable company so we used Avis. Huge mistake. Service and car was horrible. We now use Wheels2Go. Do a search on car rentals and you will find reliable car rental companies.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

We used Budget only because its free - Got it from my points but I told myself never again. Line up was way too long and customer service is bad. Its unfortunate that there lots of people looking to book and the lady wasnt interested in helping them.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

We used Budget the first time we went. High pressure to purchase extra insurance and it took more than hour to get the car because the desk was so poorly staffed. Now we use Carvenience. They are waiting for you at the airport, take you to the rental place and you're on your way in a practically new car in 15 minutes.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

Go with one of the smaller local companies. Unfortunately, it is a little like Cabo, the big guys will screw you over. :(

Level Contributor
3 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

We are going for a week in July but only need a car for one day. What would you suggest?

Boston
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget , Thrifty or Alamo car rental

go local...enjoy

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
1 review
Save Reply