We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

Has anyone gone on the Reading Road Trip, sponsored by Sandals? How did you like it? Did you bring school supplies with you? I will be there 4/27-5/4 and I am shipping school supplies in advance. I think it will be fun and rewarding.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,619 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

We've been on this trip twice...once in St. Lucia in January and again in Jamaica in March. It is one of the most rewarding trips we've been on. I'm not sure how it is run at SGA, as both our trips were completely different from each other.

In St. Lucia we each "taught" a class...I had grade 3 and hubby had grade 6. The kids were terrific...giving big hugs and shyly offering us food from their lunches. I'm not a teacher, but had a great time reading with them, listening to them sing, and just interacting and answering their questions. They were particularly interested to know about snow.

In Jamaica, the school we visited had children age 3-6yrs and each couple sat with a group of students (4-5 students) outdoors on small picnic tables. We read stories to them, helped them learn colors by playing coloring games, and interacted appropriate to their age group. Their attention span was minimal at times and so the "teaching" was done in a very fun and enthusiastic way.

For both schools we donated soccer balls, pencils, sharpeners, erasers, crayons, reading books and work books. The principals at each school were so appreciative of the donations they received!

I highly recommend doing this program...it is such a great way to give back to a community while you are vacationing. So rewarding!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

Thanks Travelpair55. I'm really looking forward to it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

We also participated in this in January in Jamaica and it was the most fun as well as touching experience we've ever had on vacation. We will be in Antigua in November and plan to do it then as well. From what I've gathered in my research, you visit 5-7 year olds there. The school is about 10 minutes from the resort, the visit lasts from 9am - 11am on Thursday mornings.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

Thanks for the info!!

Champaign Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

I went on the Reading Road trip in March in Antigua. They have two schools that they visit trading weeks. We visited a Kindergarten room. The teacher would take any supplies. I took books for the classroom. I am a teacher and had fun working with the students. We read a book and had the children talk about the book then worked on the letter of the day. The teacher took our camera and took pictures the whole time we worked with our group. There were 5 adults on the trip and we worked with groups ranging from 3 -5 in the group.

6. Re: Sandals Foundation Reading Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:41