We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

UK - Wiltshire
3 posts
Save Topic
Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

Hi,

I want to go to Antigua for our wedding anniversary and am undecided between St James or the Veranda.

We want a hotel with good quality rooms - either Waterfront in Veranda or Premier at St James, good dining options (prefer al la carte rather than buffet) and a nice beach. Want something quite quiet to just relax and chill out so not bothered about loads of entertainment at night but would like to snorkel in the day and not a lot of children!

Any advice? Its very difficult to pick up from Tripadvisor the best hotel as both seem to have pros and cons.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

Both nice hotels but if you are looking for a la carte dining, St James's does not offer that option every day, although good it is mostly buffets. Snorkeling is probably better at the Veranda, the sea round there is slightly clearer. However, if you are seriously into snorkeling your best bet would be to take one of the boat tours such as the Eco Tour, please see www.adventureantigua.com. Hope that helps you a little bit in deciding which hotel to chose. Enjoy your wedding anniversary and have a lovely holiday!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

What time of year are you looking at? During the season (November - May) then I'd definitely say St James as you're within such easy reach of English Harbour and there's a lot more going on there. The rest of the year, both are fairly isolated. I think there are perhaps slightly better food choices at SJC, and the beaches are much bigger.

Neither really has snorkelling, but the Verandah is only a short walk from Long Bay, which is one of the only off-beach snorkelling spots worth bothering with.

Sorry not to be more helpful - I have to admit I'd choose Galley Bay or Blue Waters (or Hermitage Bay/Calisle Bay/The Inn if budget allowed) over either of them!

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

We just returned from the Verandah.. had the beachfront room... rooms were wonderful!! Not many kids, the one's we did see were just about all babies. I think depending on what time of year though, there would be a ton of kids. We travelled in off season

the food was excellence, including Buccaneers which did not have a cover charge

snorkeling was only okay. Guess Antigua is not the place for great snorkeling

larger beach was fun, except I did not like the fact that goats & donkeys would come down to the beach. Guess you can not control that

best of luck on your choice! It was a great island and we had a fabulous, relaxing time at the Verandah!

UK - Wiltshire
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments, it such a difficult choice! Just want to make sure its right as its our wedding anniversary and we are in desperate need of a holiday!

We are travelling mid June - i.e. in the next month.

I would have prefered Galley Bay or Blue Waters but its coming out too expensive I'm afraid so its out of those two!

It sounds like the Verandah is coming out the better choice then. Do you know if they have an al a carte option every night?

Thanks

Eve

London, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

For more TripAdvisor reviews on The Verandah please see the following link:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147243-d651208…

All the best

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

Hi Eve,

I believe we had the option of a la carte every night except for Sunday. Nicoles (the $25 dining) I think was only open 5 nights? But Bucanneers was open the other nights. MAJOR thing - do not forget to pack shirts with a collar for your husband. They will NOT let him in ANY of the restaurants without a collared shirt. Doesn't matter what kind (polo, button down, etc)

Also, at the bar overlooking the beach, they had a menu of food for lunch.. not a huge menu, but the fish and chips was awesome!

We really enjoyed the resort, keep in mind it is very spread out and there is alot of walking and stairs

We had talked to one couple who had a couple next to them with a baby who cried all night. We were lucky and did not. But I'm not sure why they didn't ask to be moved. I know I sure would have! It's vacation!!

enjoy!

7. Re: Which hotel is better - the St James Beach Club or Verandah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 18:30
Get answers to your questions about Antigua