We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Catering

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Self-Catering

We've been to Antigua before and stayed in the Hotel next to Sandals - Dickenson Bay??? - this was for 3 nights and then to Jolly Beach and stayed in a self catering villa in the harbour area.

Unfortunately my husband was ill (vertigo we think) and so it has totally put him off that area. We did like Dickenson Bay but as we were AI for the 3 nights we never ventured out. Would this be a good place to go self catering? Are there restaurants around there - can we hire sunbeds and umbrellas on the beach?

As I have finally persuaded him to even go back to Antigua - I need to get this right!!

Any other places that you think would suit us would be great too!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Dickenson Bay
Dickenson Bay
343 Reviews
Antigua
Jolly Beach
Jolly Beach
143 Reviews
Antigua
Hermitage Bay
Hermitage Bay
#1 of 8 hotels in Saint Mary's
The Villas at Sunset Lane
The Villas at Sunset Lane
#1 of 16 hotels in St. John's
Curtain Bluff Resort
Curtain Bluff Resort
#2 of 8 hotels in Saint Mary's
4 replies to this topic
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-Catering

I still think the best places for self catering are Jolly Harbour, and during high season, English Harbour/Falmouth.

However, around Dickenson Bay there are number of options. Right on the beach you have Antigua Village (between Sandals and Siboney), or just a little further on, past Siboney, Buccaneer Beach Club. If you're happy not to be right on the beach, there are also various options up on the hill above, including Dickenson Bay Cottages and Halcyon Heights, as well as various places dotted up on Paradise View.

There are a couple of restaurant options - Coconut Grove and Ana's at the higher end of the budgetary scale, or Putters (just behind Antigua Village) and of course the Chippy fish and chip van a couple of times a week. The watersports places also have lunchtime food on the beach, and Coconut Grove is less expensive for lunch than it is for dinner. These also have sunbeds and parasols for rent. It can get very busy on cruise ship days and I don't think the water quality is as good as it is on some other parts of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Antigua
Dickenson Bay
Dickenson Bay
343 Reviews
Antigua
Antigua Village
Antigua Village
226 Reviews
Antigua
Buccaneer Beach Club
Buccaneer Beach Club
388 Reviews
Antigua
Dickenson Bay Cottages
Dickenson Bay Cottages
106 Reviews
Antigua
Maine
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-Catering

We were underwhelmed with the Dickenson Beach area for self catering. We felt surrounded by resorts. (Which are great, but only if you’re staying at one) Having the airport and a supermarket close by was convenient, but other than Dickenson Beach itself, there wasn’t much to do. We drove into St John’s, but once was enough. Way to much traffic and cruise activity for us. Our best day was driving to Nelson’s Dockyard and Shirley Heights. We’d probably stay down that way next time.

Mentioned in this post
Shirley Heights
Shirley Heights
2,101 Reviews
Antigua
Essex
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-Catering

We loved the Jolly Harbour area for self catering, we stayed in a villa on the south finger and have booked a different villa for next year again. The supermarket is well stocked and there are lots of places to eat within a short walk or a short taxi ride. We were there for 9 nights and did not hire a car so used taxis to go to different beaches and out to eat if we were not within walking distance.

Donna

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-Catering

We've stayed at Jolly Harbour. The village area has all you need for groceries (if you stock up when fresh shipments arrive), restaurants and shops. However the North finger felt just a bit too far from everything and we ended up driving every single day to one of the nearby beaches like Turners, Fryers etc. The evenings on our little patio on the canal got to be too boring but we got tired of so much driving even back and forth to the village. It would be nice to be closer to the beach. North Beach was ok but no facilities or chairs or anything. Perhaps the South finger units would be better. Just my opinion, but I'm not big on self catering anyway and cooking all the time.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Self-Catering
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted