We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

Tourists visiting Anguilla have an abundance of local arts and crafts to choose from – when purchasing souvenirs of the island.

The attractive work is available at the conveniently-located Arts and Crafts Centre in The Valley just south of the Food Strip and the People’s Market.

A project of the National Council of Women, in rented accommodation, it features the work of six well-known artists – Melsadis Fleming, Mrs. Bernice Fahie, Vivienne Fleming, Carol Shannon, Jane Rogers and Kenneth Richardson.

“This is just a souvenir shop for tourists coming to Anguilla,” said Sylvia Hodge, who has been the Sales Clerk for over twelve years. “They can come here and purchase a gift to take back to the various countries to showcase what we produce in Anguilla.”

The arts and crafts include a large collection of paintings, pottery, jewellery and other work neatly displayed on racks and walls, taking up the entire allotted spaces.

Asked about patronage at the Arts and Crafts Centre, Ms. Hodge replied: “Once the tourism season is up and going, we see a lot of tourists here. They tell others about the centre, bringing their friends. Right now, however, it is slow as the tourist season is not really up.”

theanguillian.com/2018/…

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
8 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

How did I miss this thread?

It sounds like a wonderful way to give back to the community while purchasing something for a friend or family member.

I wonder what hours and days they are open.

Virginia
Level Contributor
277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

I was wondering the same thing Pepper. They had something similar when I went to Isla Mujeres (beaded jewelry) and it was wonderful!

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
277 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

It’s open Mon- Fri 9 am until 4 pm

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

My thanks to you TravTT.

I will be sure to give it a shout out when I'm on the island.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,172 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

Bump

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

Thanks - just what I was looking for!

Pa
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

Do you know if they sell the ceramic goats that used to be sold in a shop next to the Vision Center? I picked up several of then in different colors and just love them.

Kure Beach, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)

I purchased a few items there last week and didn't see any ceramic goats; however, I may have just overlooked them. I purchased some very colorful hand painted pot holders to hang in my kitchen. I won't use them as I would hate for the paint to come off; they add a nice decorative touch above my stove (and might make people think I actually cook).

Reply to: Local Arts and Crafts Center (article)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla
More Anguilla Topics