We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort for Snorkeling

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resort for Snorkeling

Hi everyone, in April I am going on my honeymoon and I am looking for a nice resort that has good snorkeling right off of their beach. Last summer we stayed at the Windsong in Turks and Caicos (right next to Coral Gardens, I think that was the name) and it had that reef right behind it, so we spent 4 or 5 hours a day just snorkeling. We want to go to a different island this time, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort for Snorkeling

Probably the best "off the beach" snorkeling in the Caribbean is on Bonaire. We've been to Provo (10 times) and Bonaire (7 times) and love them both, but for different things/reasons. Bonaire has a lot (about 50) marked/identified/named snorkeling sites, most accessible from the beach. You drive along the road, look for (painted) yellow stones with the name of the site, and hop in.

However, there is one significant shortcoming.... the "beaches". There are few (like 2 or 3) small real "beaches" in Bonaire. Most beaches are really rocks and busted up coral. (They look white from a distance, but are rough to walk on.) At most snorkeling sites you enter over a ironstone surface. This makes for very clear water (no sand) but some kind of booties are recommended. This is about the opposite of Grace Bay Beach on Provo.

To get a better idea of the island, check my trip reports at my personal web site: www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html We're primarily windsurfers who enjoy snorkeling on off-days, but the reports should give you a good view of the island in general.

2. Re: Resort for Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 15:43