We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Decide Where to Go!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Help Me Decide Where to Go!!

Hey All!

Looking for lots of input(!) on where to go for a 20th anniversary trip. DH is absolutely no help as he's just a super simple guy who is really happy anywhere :) I'm the one that's a bit more discerning and also more challenging to travel with!

I've floated around the idea of Hawaii (not sure we want to deal with a 14+hour flight), Palace resorts in MX (still considering), Belize, Portugal/Spain/Greece (not sure we want a HUGE time difference to deal with) . . . all of this brings me to just going to the Caribbean again as travel is easy and the time difference is not a big deal, if at all. We've been to many islands in the past though most of them were just day stops with a cruise.

Ideally, we want beautiful (and swimmable!) beaches, but also some adventure/excitement! DH loves to snorkel, so that would be a huge plus! We love kayaking and hiking. I'd love something adventurous like cave swimming, white water rafting/tubing, swimming in waterfalls, etc - not so much ziplining as we've done that several times already.

I do have celiac disease and a few other food allergies, so eating out can be a bit challenging for me. I LOVE, love, love sushi and would really be able to find somewhere with great sushi that I could eat a few times during the trip. We're not opposed to cooking in (pretty used to it with my allergies), so getting fresh fish that we could prepare ourselves would be a HUGE plus!

As far as budget goes, I'd really like to not spend more than $400/night for the two of us if we stay at a resort. We've considered an AI, but neither of us drink so I don't know that is really worth it. We usually rent vacation homes so we have a kitchen - finding a resort with rooms that have a kitchen would be great too.

We definitely want safety to be a top priority. We like to go out and do our own thing and not be tied to a resort or transportation system, so renting a car is a must. We can be pretty flexible with travel times. If we do the Caribbean, we'll probably want to avoid hurricane season, so we're thinking maybe the first week of November and possibly staying 9-10 nights.

Anything else you need to know to give us some good suggestions? We really are open to just about anything/anywhere if we can find everything we're looking for!

Thanks so much for any input!

1 reply
Kitchener Ontario
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Decide Where to Go!!

Brenda - I'm not sure you will get much help here in the " Caribbean " forum. I know why you posted here but its very general, gets almost Zero visibility and you can't search it by itself. Most TA members only monitor specific island forums the frequent and are familiar with. Seldom do you get any other replies but this may be your lucky day.

For all inclusive, the big islands are Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba and Mexico which is in a separate forum.

For a condo / villa / self catering I would suggest Grenada, Aruba, maybe Barbados and depending on how flight work for you potentially something around the USVI or BVI.

Hope that gives you something to think about. Search / repost into some of those forums and see what those " experts " suggest

Reply to: Help Me Decide Where to Go!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted