We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Grove Lodge vs. John Muir Lodge

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Cedar Grove Lodge vs. John Muir Lodge

Any opinions on these two lodges? We'll be in SEKI for 3 days / 2 nights in May exploring Sequoia and staying the first night at Wuksachi. I then had planned to head up King's Canyon hitting Yucca Point, Zumwalt Meadow, Mist Trail, etc. and then backtracking to John Muir Lodge for the night heading over to Panoramic Point for sunset. I always tend to overestimate how much we can fit in and I'm wondering if we might be better off staying right down at the Cedar Grove Lodge on that 2nd night and then spend the 3rd day heading back towards Grant Grove Village, visiting General Grant, Panoramic Point, etc. We'd miss out on Panoramic Point for sunset but it might be a better schedule overall.

Any thoughts appreciated.

W

2 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Grove Lodge vs. John Muir Lodge

The view from Panoramic Point is to the east, so it is not a good sunset viewpoint which would be to the west. It is good for the afternoon view of the peaks in the east side of the park though. You have a lot scheduled for Kings Canyon so I would stay at Cedar Grove. I would not want to make the drive back up to John Muir after doing all those things down in Kings Canyon. You'll want to rest so just stay at Cedar Grove.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Grove Lodge vs. John Muir Lodge

Since your first day is at Wuksachi I would spend all day in the Giant Forest area. Then I would head straight down to Cedar Grove area to enjoy the canyon and river all day. Spend the night at Cedar Grove and then you can decide on your way back to Grant Grove area how much time you want/have to spend there. Get gas @ stony creek ..........

Edited: 06 May 2017, 03:17
Reply to: Cedar Grove Lodge vs. John Muir Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...