We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mist falls hike - hiking with children

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mist falls hike - hiking with children

Hello - we will be visiting SEKI around memorial day this year. Thinking about hiking to Mist Falls among other things. Our hiking group would consist of three adults and our three children - 4 year old, and two 22 month olds. I have read the details of Mist falls hike and looks like while it is long (around 9 miles round trip), it is not necessarily hard. We have great hiking carriers/packs for all three kids and have done several hikes with them on previous vacations (Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Acadia etc.). Thus, we do have experience hiking with them in various conditions (hot and cool temps, steep elevations etc.). Given these factors, do you think it is do-able for us to hike to Mist falls and back with the kiddos with proper preparation (sunscreen, water,bug spray, food etc.). We would get an early start to the day and I would imagine it would take anywhere from 5-7 hours depending on our pace? If anyone has any personal experience doing this hike with kids (especially toddlers and preschoolers), I would appreciate any input/opinion.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mist falls hike - hiking with children

https:/…

Link of trail on the way to Mist falls.........the first two miles are an easy stroll before it starts to climb.

I've seen all types of people on the trail to falls. Young and old.

Great hike and be sure to go all the way to the falls some people stop along the river cascades thinking they are at the falls themselves but there is a sign eventually.

Also goods spots along the way to picnic etc.........Sometimes there are biting ants so watch where you sit.

Rattlesnakes too.

I'll be there soon for my annual may visit and the river should be spectacular this year.

Enjoy

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mist falls hike - hiking with children

Thanks Larry. Looking forward to your trip report!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,698 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mist falls hike - hiking with children

I generally advise against going to the Mist Trail (Vernal Fall) with infants or toddlers that need to be carried on a carrier. The trail near to the top of the fall is very steep and wet. It is challenging - especially in the down direction when you are tired - even for an adult by himself/herself. Carrying a baby-carrier will be even more challenging. Wet rocks are slippery. Even one mishap... You are putting the little one at great risk.

Visalia...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mist falls hike - hiking with children

"I generally advise against going to the Mist Trail (Vernal Fall) with infants or toddlers that need to be carried on a carrier. The trail near to the top of the fall is very steep and wet. It is challenging - especially in the down direction when you are tired - even for an adult by himself/herself. Carrying a baby-carrier will be even more challenging. Wet rocks are slippery. Even one mishap... You are putting the little one at great risk"

HappyFeet, the OP is asking about the Trail to Mist Falls in Kings Canyon, NOT the Mist Trail in Yosemite. Ha ha, I personally wouldn't do either with a kid in a pack, but my co-worker carried his four year old daughter all the way to the top of Vernal Falls on his shoulders a couple years ago - no carrier!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,698 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mist falls hike - hiking with children

Oops... sorry. Thanks Shelley. I got used to posting in the Yosemite forum while browsing the list in the California forum (which has everything). Didn't notice the actual destination. Thank you for pointing it out.

Reply to: Mist falls hike - hiking with children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...