We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Itinerary Check

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
June Itinerary Check

Hi guys,

We are coming to visit SEKI this June as part of a 2 week road trip. Our group consists of Me (33), my husband (34), our daughter (12), and my grandmother (75). We have 2 nights reserved in a cabin at Grant Grove.

My plan now is...

Leave Yosemite in the morning, stopping in Fresno to visit with family for brunch, arrive at Grants Grove in the afternoon. Spend whats left of the afternoon and evening seeing the sights at Grant Grove.

For our full day, we plan to drive into King's Canyon to the roads end. We can take all day. What do you suggest we not miss on this day? We can do some hiking but probably want to keep it to less than 5 miles or so. What is Boyden Cavern like? We have been to lots of caves before. I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

On the last day we are leaving Grant Grove and driving to Sequoia. We plan to see the Giant Forest, Moro Rock, and the Tunnel Log. Also thinking of skipping the Crystal Cave. Are these caves unique in the cave world. From the pictures I've seen, they look pretty standard. We have most of the day to spend on this route, but we will be staying in Bakersfield that night.

I really appreciate whatever help you guys can give. We are spending 4 nights in Yosemite Valley before this, so I am hoping this will be a little slower paced as I expect Yosemite to be crazy. After this we are staying in Bakersfield en route to Sedona.

2 replies to this topic
Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
69 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Itinerary Check

I too am visiting Sequoia end of May and on doing my research I discovered Boyden Cavern is still closed as a result of a fire in 2015. No news on when it will reopen according to their site on May 1, 2017.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Itinerary Check

I'd skip the caves and see Log/Crescent Meadow/Tharp's log instead. It's unique in the whole world. It won't be there forever.

Tons to do in Sequoia. Road's End KC has a number of trails, but you should ask ranger advice about which is best for a short walk with your family. There are a couple of meadows in KC, but I think the ones in Sequoia are the best (as they combine meadow with Sequoias). Congress Trail in Sequoia also leads to Tharp's log and it is possible to park at General Sherman, walk to Tharp, then down the side of Crescent Meadow and to the shuttle stop at the picnic ground (which would take you to Moro Rock and then back to your car at General Sherman tree).

Reply to: June Itinerary Check
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...