We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail conditions in mid-May

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Trail conditions in mid-May

So, my other post didn't get any interest and I suspect it's because of a very specific subject line. Let's try again. Heading to Sequoia (2 days) and King's Canyon (1 day) in mid-May and was looking for opinions on trail selection and wondering about trail conditions -- snow, ice, etc.

Trails of interest include:

- Marble Falls Trail

- Tokopah Falls

- Hospital Rock

- Moro Rock

- Redwood Canyon

- Congress Loop

- Sunset Rock

Look forward to any thoughts or suggestions. In particular, trying to decide what equipment to bring -- crampons, spikes, snowshoes.

Thanks, W.

2 replies to this topic
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail conditions in mid-May

https:/…conditions.htm

Above is how to find out about current conditions.

Best to call Lodgepole visitor center to see what the conditions are like in the Giant Forest area.

This year there might be some snow patches at that elevations.

You'll probably not need any special footwear for the hikes your planning. Expect wet muddy etc . Some trails might have snow patches here and there.

I'll be up there mid May for my annual visit and the last couple of years its been dry everywhere you want to visit.

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail conditions in mid-May

Thanks for the information. I had checked that conditions page but still wasn't sure if there were going to be parts of our trails -- between Sequoia, King's Canyon & Yosemite -- that might require snowshoes. In the end, I think it best *not* to bring them on this trip. It's just one more thing to carry and think about and I suspect that muddy, wet conditions are going to be more the norm than deep snow. (Except for high on the Panorama / Four Mile Trail in Yosemite where the snow is still very deep.) And, I can just turn around and avoid the areas with the deep snow for this trip.

Reply to: Trail conditions in mid-May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...