We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
247 reviews
1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

Five years ago we had a partial day to do as much of Sequoia and Kings Canyon as we could.

From Three Rivers we were able to explore Hospital Rock, Moro Rock, and the General Sherman Trail. We then had to completely drive past Kings Canyon as we drove on to Yosemite.

This is now 5 years later and we have a little bit more time but not a whole lot more.

Also this time we have young kids that enjoy nature, wildlife, big rocks, waterfalls, but absolutely hate hiking.

The plan this year (1st week June) is to arrive from the Three Rivers side in late afternoon, drive up to as far as the Hospital Rock area and explore as much as we can for the next few hours, then back down to stay in Three Rivers.

The following morning it's up early and we plan to drive to the top to do the General Sherman and Crescent Meadow...are there any other easy relatively flat trails right around there? We don't plan to do Moro Rock this time.

Then around lunchtime we plan to head over to Kings Canyon to spend the rest of the day. The only constraint being that I'd prefer to be out of the park by dark or at least I'd prefer not to be up on the side of a mountain driving a bunch of unfamiliar switchbacks. Then we'll drive to our hotel in Oakhurst, and just get there when we get there.

So for Kings Canyon from noon to around 8ish (sunset) I am looking for must see stuff and any relatively easy trails that the kids might not complain too much about. (And they don't necessarily have to be hikes or designated mapped trails. While visiting Aspen last summer we found plenty of pull outs on the side of the road near the river where the kids could kick off their shoes and get their feet wet.)

So far I'm looking at Zumwalt Meadow, Grizzly Falls, Grant Grove, Roaring River Falls.

Thanks

Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
247 reviews
1. Re: 1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

anybody?

Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: 1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

We had 2 kids aged 16 and 9. In Sequoia we did an easy walk which was an easy access trail - The Big Trees Trail. It is a flat circular walk - mainly on boards that was really picturesque amongst the Big Trees - it is near the museum and main car park from memory. We also did Moro Rock but I would not be inclined to do that with small kids.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re…

Edited: 25 April 2017, 17:37
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

Round meadow is an easy stroll in the Giant Forest. The walk to Log meadow and around crescent meadow is easy and good for bear sightings.

In King's canyon.......easy by the road is Grizzly Falls, Zumwalt meadow an easy flat walk, Roaring River Falls another easy walk to falls.

Edited: 27 April 2017, 02:51
4. Re: 1st visit to Kings Canyon need easy trail advice Sequoia too

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2018, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...