We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Peninulsa

Santa Rosa, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Olympic Peninulsa

We''ll be pulling our 5th wheel heading home to CA from Whidbey Island and would like to visit Olympic Pen. and are wondering if there are steep grades. Also recommended camping.

4 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
1. Re: Olympic Peninulsa

Much depends on where you plan to visit. Hurricane Ridge road is a fairly steep climb for a rig like yours.. With that exception, US-101 (a two-lane road for the most part) is fairly flat. I would not attempt pulling a fifth wheel up to Hurricane Ridge even before the construction began. However, kaleberg, a DE for ONP, lives at the base of Hurricane Ridge Road and is a far better source than I am.

https:/…current-road-conditions.htm

www.visitonp.com/camping

Santa Rosa, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Olympic Peninulsa

Thank you

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Olympic Peninulsa

A lot depends on the time of your visit. You could make it up Hurricane Ridge Road, but both Hurricane Hill Road Road and Obstruction Point Road are barred to RVs. Right now, unfortunately, Hurricane Hill Road is closed to everyone because of the goat eradication project, so it almost makes no difference to you if you are coming before September 27. On the other hand, some of the other roads to trails are not RV friendly because of parking problems. The Spruce Railroad Trail is reached by a flat road, but the parking area is limited. The same holds true of the Bogachiel (few people go there) and at least one of the lesser visited trails that I name only in private emails.

Can you tell us what you would like to see?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Olympic Peninulsa

When is this visit? There are several places where you could park your fifth wheel and then drop it to explore. We need to know when this is. If it is this year some places will close in October. Outside f Hurricane Ridge where I Would not take a fifth wheel there are no steep grades.

Reply to: Olympic Peninulsa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted