We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

We will be visiting GCNP on Sept 25th and staying overnight at the Maswik. I realise there will be a little bit of walking to get to the rim, and wonder if all-terrain sandals (Merrells) will be Ok. What's it like underfoot? I should stress that there will be no hiking involved - DH has a bad back, knees and shoulder and I am asthmatic, so it's all very passive stuff for us I'm afraid. Don't really want to have to bring shoes if we can avoid it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

Comfortable is the key word to remember for your footwaer. Most of the walking at the rim will be on paved paths or sidewalks, so hiking shoes or boots are not required. I would encourage you to bring a change of shoes though. Often the key to keeping your feet healthy and comfortabe is simply to change your shoes each day.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

Anything that's comfortable will be fine along the rim. I've seen everything from hiking boots to flip-flops.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

If you're staying at the Maswik don't forget to take a torch with you - the lighting is very dim at night.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

Forgot to add I meant the lighting in the park itself not Maswik!

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

Thankyou for all your helpful replies. Great idea about the torch too. Will add that to the list.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

if you buy a "torch" in the US, we call them flashlights.

7. Re: Footwear for ordinary walking - not hiking.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 00:17