We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets inside park

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pets inside park

Am I correct in my research that Yavapai is the only lodging inside the GC to accommodate pets? I already have a reservation early November at Kachina but have recently rescued a small dog that I would like to bring. Don’t want to leave her in the GC kennels. Doesn’t look like getting a res at Yavapai will be a big problem but wii do it today if that my only option. TIA

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,705 Reviews
from USD 399.99*
USD 520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 45-Minute Helicopter...
637 Reviews
from USD 276.99*
USD 299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam Helicopter...
614 Reviews
from USD 369.99*
USD 479.00
8 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pets inside park

You're right, Yavapai is the only lodge with pet friendly rooms.

Also to note is that pets must always be on leash, are only permitted on the rim trails and various developed areas, are not permitted below rim or on the shuttles.

See here for the park's information on pets: https:/…pets.htm

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,099 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pets inside park

Jane’s advice is accurate. I’m a dog person. We travel almost everywhere with our canines. However, the Grand Canyon National Park and the National parks in general are not really pet friendly. Your time and access at the park will be severely restricted by having the pooch with you.

I advise that you strongly consider leaving her at home in the care of a professional pet handler.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pets inside park

While it may limit your activities somewhat to have your pet along, I can understand why you would not want to leave her behind. Rescue dogs often have bonding issues or anxiety, and you definitely want to avoid that. Fortunately, Grand Canyon National Park is one of the more pet-friendly national parks, with leashed pets allowed on the Rim Trail, and the pet-friendly Yavapai Lodge. I hope you were able to book a room there.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pets inside park

"Don’t want to leave her in the GC kennels."

Many years ago (more than 20) we were doing a long road trip through the American and Canadian Rockies and using the kennel was the only option. Believe me, my pup was spoiled, and I was concerned but it was a positive experience. Out of curiosity, I drove around a few weeks ago to check out the new (to me) location of the kennels. Switching hotels would be the best bet, but unless you plan to hike into the canyon (and most visitors do not), you can still enjoy your visit to the park.

That was the only night the pup spent the night in a kennel on that trip.

Edited: 18 August 2018, 08:29
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pets inside park

If you have a pet stroller that would be an ideal way to keep her safe from people stepping on her and be enjoyable for You both. You can't get on the shuttle buses with a dog but there is so much thou can see and enjoy there with your pet. All the view points along 64E to desert Watchtower are pet friendly. Our dog has been to the grand canyon too many times to count.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,099 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pets inside park

Just to be clear, my dogs were with me at the Grand Canyon National Park last week. But it was a day trip from Sedona. Much less complicated than an overnight, and we knew we would only be touring east rim road sites to GCV, with our car.

It’s a long enough day for humans. The pups were bushed. Our 3 adult grandchildren slept in the car on the way home from Tusayan.

Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pets inside park

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It was no problem making reservations at Yavapa. I am also keeping the one at Kachina until we decide definitely. We were used to traveling with our Jack Russell so kind of used to it. We will have two nights in the park so don’t plan to be in a rush. We are two 70 somethings, hubby has health problems so there will be no hiking mostly driving and stopping for the views. Thanks again

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,751 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pets inside park

It will be fine. You will have a good time.

I like the idea of the stroller.

Reply to: Pets inside park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted