We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the beginning of October too late?

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
Is the beginning of October too late?

Hi

We will be on vacation from the UK at the beginning of October to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

Would that be too late to squeeze in a visit to Glacier beforehand.

We will be flying into SLC I think and driving up.

Can anyone give me an idea of driving times etc and ideas for routes please

Thanks

Roscoe

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

The drive from the northern part of Yellowstone will be 6-7 hours to Glacier. The weather will be changing in October to cooler temps. I've never been that late in the season but I would think snow would not be a problem. The road across the park will be closed at that time. I believe they try to keep it partially open thru mid October. Logan Pass is usually accessible from one side, this year I don't think they have set which side that will be. The roads to Two Medicine and Many Glacier should be open. There will be no in park lodging. You should be able to hike most trails. I hope someone more familiar with the park at this time of year will respond .

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
114 reviews
2. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

You are pushing the edges at that time of year. Snow will be up high, can show up lower also. Leaves will have all turned, most lodging closed. A very quiet time, you would have much of the park to yourself.

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

Thanks for that,it will literally be the first few days in October so hopefully we should be ok.

It is only a "taster"but I thought we were close enough to go for it.

My original idea was to travel from Calgary but that seems to be a no because we would not be able to take a rental car between Canada and the US,the problem we have flying from the UK is if we take a flight from an international airport to a regional airport we come up against baggage restrictions and my husband brings a set of golf clubs........hence the drive from SLC.

Where would be the best place to base ourselves for accomodation?

Thanks

Roscoe

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

There are a few small motels right outside the west entrance to the park, Glacier Highland is the only one that I can remember right now. Google West Glacier and some will pop up. There is a Super 8 in Columbia Falls that would be a larger chain. On the east side of the park, you will have East Glacier motels or Great Bear Resort in St. Mary. How many days are you planning? Maybe a night or so on each side to avoid long drives from side to side? I would visit the Many Glacier area and travel the road across the park as far as possible from each side. Of course there's a large choice of hotels in Kalispell or Whitefish, but the other choices will put you closer to the park.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

Maybe rent a set in the USA. We always do. How much golfing is he going to do?

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

5 or 6 rounds I would guess

Roscoe

7. Re: Is the beginning of October too late?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 15:18