We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question about buses into Denali NP

Herts England
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Another question about buses into Denali NP

Apologies if this has already been answered, but I am trying to decide which options to take for our 2 days in the park next August.

The advice seems to be to take a shuttle bus rather than a tour bus and to travel as far into the park as possible.

Does this mean that the "Kantishna Experience"

reservedenali.com/play/…kantishna.aspx

which seems to be a shuttle bus, but with a nat park Ranger for the last part of the trip is the best option for at least one of our 2 days.

It will be me, 50 and my 16 year old daughter. We are both hoping to see wildlife, scenery and take some (hopefully) good photos!

Wewill be staying at McKinley Chalet Resort so I appreciate we will also need to get a hotel shuttle to/from the park entrance.

I am hoping to finalise our trip details and then book everything later this week....thanks for all the advice so far.

NellyMo

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

Kantishna experience is in fact a tour bus. I would book a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. decide once you are in the park if you will go that far or not.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

There are also a few shuttle buses that go all the way to the end of the road at Kantishna, but when folks say go as far into the park as possible most mean to Wonder Lake.

The road to Kantishna tends to be wash-board & just too long of a ride.

Fti's recommendation of getting a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake is the best idea.

Herts England
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

Thank you both, that is what I was planning until I saw this tour today!

Will hopefully get 2 days to Wonder Lake booked by the end of the week...already excited about our trip!

New York
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

If you don't have a car, which appears so? Then you need to be within the schedule of the hotel lodge shuttle buses to the access center, unless you are planning on walking. It would be advised to have this scheduled pick up, an hour ahead of the shuttle bus.

If you are going in 2 days, are you aware of the buy 2 get 3 bus tickets? It may be an option to book a late morning or early afternoon bus, your arrival day at Denali, can easily just bail out at any point and return, if it gets too long.

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

Thank you for clarifying Wonder Lake/Kantishna. I was a bit confused on that.

Anchorage, Alaska
4 posts
6. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

Here's cost & reservation information for Denali NP in 2013:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/bus2013.htm

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

My wife and I have twice done the Tundra wilderness tour which runs about 8 hours or so. We've never done the shuttle but have been happy with this tour. after about 8 hours your usually ready to get off the bus. Seeing wildlife is hit or miss regardless. there's no guarantee where you will see it. We've always done well and seen some bears and other wildlife on each trip. the guides are always knowledgeble and informative and they do stop on occasion for breaks.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

The round trip shuttle bus to Eielson is also 8 hours long but costs well under half of what the Tundra Wilderness Tour costs. Plus, with the tour, you really don't have a chance to get off the bus except at the rest stops (technically you are allowed to get off a Tundra tour bus and get onto a shuttle bus, but it is extremely rare to see that happen).

True there is no guarantee of wildlife and some trips are not as good as others in this regard. But that is why I encourage those with a keen interest in wildlife, scenery, photography and/or hiking to take multiple trips into the park. In all my days in the park, I have never gone a day without seeing at least some wildlife (and not just ground squirrels and hares). But it can vary greatly.

9. Re: Another question about buses into Denali NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...