We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

United States
Level Contributor
153 posts
Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Hi there, We are planning a trip to Acadia National Park in 2019 - our dates would be around May 30 - June 5th... we love to hike, cycle, etc... my question is whether we are coming to early in the season... this is the week following Memorial Day weekend .... I have read that May can be muddy, and rainy....

ALSO - any suggestions on the area to stay? After reading several Bar Harbor reviews, it sounds super touristy.... our # 1 dream would be an area with water views, the ability to sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery, glass of wine in-hand, and cook out with our teenage kids.... plus relatively quick access to the park, Carriage Road, etc... typically, we rent homes via VRBO or cabin rental companies..

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Obviously there's no way to tell what the weather will be like a year from now. Yes May weather is sometimes rainy. And cool. Yes chances for good weather are better later in June. Your best bet is to book something that has a lenient cancellation policy in case the weather forecast is iffy. Cottages and cabins usually hav pretty strict policies, so you're taking your chances any time of year, but especially that early in the summer. It's really a flip of a coin.

Last week it was 72 on Friday and Saturday, and down to 48 by Monday.(38 at night). Rent a cabin that has a fireplace!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

I never know what people picture when they think "super touristy". What I think of is waterslide parks, ghost museums, fudge shops, bumper to bumper traffic, creeping from stoplight to stoplight. Bar Harbor isn't like that at all. Yes, there are tourist amenities in Bar Harbor: motels, B and Bs, restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream shops, kayak and bike rentals, t shirt shops. But basically Bar Harbor is still a small Maine waterfront village with two pretty town parks and lobster boats bouncing in the harbor. There is only one stoplight in the whole town. In May and June things aren't too busy yet. I'd find a nice place to stay right in town or just to the north of the village, on the water.

United States
Level Contributor
153 posts
3. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Thanks so much for your insight on the 'tourist' aspects... I had read about cruise ships, and comments were made about it being crowded, especially in the day... thanks for the explanation, that really helps!

Maryland
Level Contributor
372 posts
4. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Take a look at Southwest Harbor on the island as it's centrally located and a little more quiet than Bar Harbor.

We are coming the first full week of July and staying in Blue Hill - I expect to be wearing the occasional sweatshirt. Go the end of July/beginning of August if you want warmer days.

United States
Level Contributor
153 posts
5. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Thanks so much for the advice - I was looking at Southwest Harbor too.... thank you!!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

We just returned from Bar Harbor this past weekend - June 10 - 11 and had fabulous weather. We found no crowds really anywhere. The Park Loop Road had hardly anyone on the road. We had Little Hunters Beach to ourselves and only one other car in the Great Head Trail Parking lot! We travel last minute so we always know the weather forecast before coming to the area. See my trip report here:

https:/…ShowTopic-g143010-i2947-k11656744-

United States
Level Contributor
153 posts
7. Re: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance

Thank you so much for the trip reports... this is great info for us to include in our planning... we are so excited about this trip, and really appreciate you taking the time to share information with us!

Reply to: Acadia National Park - 2019 Trip DATE & DATE Guidance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park