We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2019 Germain Alpine Road - Bavaria Trip

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
245 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
2019 Germain Alpine Road - Bavaria Trip

Still in the process of planning our 2019 trip to Bavaria.

I have gathered all kind of information on the German Alpine Road and we fully intend to see as much of it as possible. My question to those who have been across it and are knowledgeable of the area is this.....

Seeing as how the road travels East to West or vise versa, is there a better section than others? In my online research it appears to me that the West end starting around Lindau through to the Garmisch area might be the best part with most to see and do. Then the middle area doesn't seem to be that interesting (I might be totally wrong) and then ending on the East end by Berchtesgaden/Salzburg you get back into the interesting parts again with lots to see and do.

Is this a fair assessment? Would you suggest one section over the other? We certainly don't mind doing the whole Road but just trying to maximize our time there. As you would see in other posts, our main reason for the visit is the 2019 Oktoberfest which we'll plan 2 days for the Fest and then 3 days in Munich and then we'll head south.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
1 reply
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2019 Germain Alpine Road - Bavaria Trip

I tend to agree. I usually suggest to branch-off the GAR from Wallgau and follow the toll road along the Isar river to Vorderriss. There yet another toll road takes you south deep into the Karwendel range to Eng Alm, an Austrian enclave at Grosser Ahornboden (Great Maple Plain), the most beautiful mountain valley you can imagine: karwendel-holidays-alps.com/sightseeing/mapl… There is a hotel at the end of the road (Die Eng Alpengasthof http://www.eng.at/ ) and a small village, which gets a lot of daytime tourists but is a paradise once the buses have left in the late afternoon.

You then continue your way east past the Sylvenstein reservoir, then drive through the idyllic Wildbad Kreuth to lake Tegernsee. At the north end of it you pick up the Alpine Road again, which then goes past Schliersee and Bayrischzell to the Tatzlwurm Waterfalls. They are a pretty sight and there is a great hotel resort nearby. Well worth a night or at least a lunch break in the restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Wallgau
Wallgau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Tegernsee
Tegernsee
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Schliersee
Schliersee
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bayrischzell
Bayrischzell