We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

1. How much time is needed at Munich central station to transfer from S8 (arriving from Airport) to ICE train for Nuremberg? One option on the DBhan site involves a 10-minute turnaround, which seems rather short.

2. If I buy a saver-rate ticket online, which commits me to taking a specific train, what happens if my flight into Munich is delayed and I miss the train in question?

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

1. 10 minutes is find but you can also take an earlier S-Bahn train if you like. It‘s only the ICE / IC train that would be „locked in“ on a saver fare ticket.

2. You would have to buy a new ticket at the flex fare rate.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

You might also want to check out flixbus which have a relatively infrequent service from the airport direct to Nürnberg.

https://shop.flixbus.com/search…

If you have to kill time for the next bus, then a visit to the airport's on site microbrewery Airbrau can fill the time nicely (and at less than €3 per 0.5L beer, its not an expensive way to kill time either!)

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,179 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

Instead of the ICE connection and the potential for flight delay and ticket forfeiture... Why not take the regional trains instead? The Bavaria Ticket day pass covers the MUC - Munich - Nuremberg route by regional trains, saves you some Euros, and can be used on any regional trains that day (any hour on Sat or Sun, on weekdays from 9 am.) It will also allow you to use public transport around Nuremberg after arrival there. You buy this ticket from a machine at MUC's train station.

www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,752 posts
4. Re: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket) covers also the route MUC -bus- Freising -regional trains- Nuremberg.

As this is a day ticket for Bavaria you are totally flexible on the connection and route.

Long distance buses (like Flixbus) requrire compulsory seat reservation. And can thus be fully booked out if you try on spot.

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg

Many thanks - the RE option looks very suitable for me, combining flexibility and value-for-money.

Reply to: Questions about train journey from Munich to Nuremberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted