We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with a 3-day itinerary

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with a 3-day itinerary

Grüß Gott!

I am putting together an itinerary for visiting Munich, Austria and Upper Bavaria. I am ok with the first two, but I am finding it hard to arrange in my head the three days I have for Upper Bavaria, where I have never been before.

There are places that I would like to visit, but I am not sure how best to string them together, especially with regard to public transport.

I would like to say at Kloster Seeon and combine that with visiting Herrenchiemsee (and possibly Frauenchiemsee).

I was planning to hike up to the Königshaus am Schachen and stay overnight there, but I am now thinking against this, because it would mean bringing along mountain boots (when I aim to travel as light as possible and visit urban centres outside this).

Other places of possible interest in the area are, for me, Linderhof and Ettal Monastery, Obersalzburg, Untersberg. Not Neuschwanstein! I like scenery, Bavarian history and quirky, unusual places.

Can anyone suggest a good three-day itinerary? I am setting off from Munich and returning to Munich.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Upper Bavaria
Upper Bavaria
Bavaria, Germany
Kloster Seeon
Kloster Seeon
55 Reviews
Seeon, Germany
Andechs Monastery
Andechs Monastery
960 Reviews
Andechs, Germany
2 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with a 3-day itinerary

Kloster Seeon would not work as base to explore the Alps by public transportation. And the challenge is anyway that all east-west train travel goes through Munich. E.g. in order to go from Ettal/Linderhof to Berchtesgaden one has to go through Munich - imho too much time wasted with that short timeframe. I'd focus on Chiemsee (as a stop-over) and Berchtesgaden or on Garmisch from where you can easily reach Ettal and Linderhof by bus but also Mittenwald by bus, train or bike. Both areas have a wealth of great hiking trails. Flip a coin if you can't make up your mind - you can't go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Kloster Seeon
Kloster Seeon
55 Reviews
Seeon, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Ettal
Ettal
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with a 3-day itinerary

Thanks! I honestly WAS planning to flip a coin!

DANKE!

Reply to: Help with a 3-day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted