We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

India
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Hi,

I have shortlisted 4 resorts at Masinagudi for a 2 day trip in Dec end and request suggestions from this forum's members to finalise one of them: Bamboo Banks,Jungle Hut, Jungle Retreat & Inn The Wild. Since I'll be taking my parents (aged 68 & 74yrs) for this trip, I would like to ensure that the resort we choose should have good non-bumpy approach roads (road from Ooty) and comfortable/clean accomodation. At this point Bamboo Banks seems like the best option because they say they have tarred roads right upto the resort-so wanted to check if anyone has been there? Inn the Wilds though also looks very good, I believe the last 2 km are very bumpy and can only be driven by 4WD/Scorpio -so that would be very uncomfortable for my parents. Any idea about approach roads to Jungle Hut and Jungle retreat? A much higher-end resort seems to be Serai Bandipur, but not sure if it is worth all the super-luxury accomodations, when our primary aim would be to stay in a pleasant place amidst natural surroundings where food is good and there are plenty of things to do within the resort. Any other suggestions in Bandipur would be most welcome!

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Hi

Your question on bumpy road approach. Yes, Bamboo banks is located just a few KMs off the main MAsinagudi - Kalhatty highway and has good roads all through. This is also possibly the oldest among the resorts there and is known for its hospitality. Ms.Shahnaz is an awesome host and the food here is wonderful. You have a range of cottages to choose from and if possible try to get Acacia, which is possibly on the top of the list in terms of location and view. The pool is clean and is bordered by a rivulet which makes it an interesting setting.

Jungle Hut is further down past the Bokkapuram village. It is a nice place as well, but may not suit your parents, for most of the cottages here are on Stilts. Though not really tree top, they are certainly not ground level. Having said that, the location is good and so is the food. The approach especially the last few KMS, through the village is a bit shoddy, though not as bad as requiring a 4 X 4. Normal cars can get there with a bit of caution.

Jungle Retreat is another wonderful property (possibly the nearest to the mountain and more towards the jungles), which has been around for a while. Mr.Mathiah is a legendary name here and a treasure trove of knowledge especially of the jungles. The food here is great as well. The last few KMS of the approach is a bit rough, though again, not so bad that you need a 4 X 4. Normal cars can get here with a bit of careful drive on the last leg.

Serai Bandipur is part of the Coffee Day chain and is a high end resort. Service levels are on a different league and the food along with the trained naturalists make it a different experience.

regards

Rajan

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Hi,

Looks like i have mixed up between Monarch Safari and Jungel Hut. Jungle Hut rooms are not on stilts (the ones at the Monarch are on Stilts). The rest of the narration in terms of approach and food hold good for Jungle hut. My apologies for the mix up.

regards

Rajan

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

I will suggest you to go for Monarch Hotel, which is a better hotel there, also you might see Mithun Chkraborth there,

India
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Thanks so much Rajan for your detailed reply on each of the resorts! Just found out about one more resort : Windflower Bandipur.

Though not as expensive as Serai, but it seems to have better quality rooms than Bamboo Banks n similar resorts. So if you can give any advice on approach road and mobility within the resort?

Also as regards Bboo Banks since you are suggesting Acacia rather than Annexe, is it a better quality or bigger room? Plus Acacia is a bit further away from dining n common areas, so is the walk to these common areas an easy one?

Thanks so much!

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Oh yes, Windflower is a decent place. There are quite a few more, but i thought you were looking at a few that you had zeroed in on. Windflower is certainly not the class of Serai in terms of quality of food or the service standards, but you will not be disappointed. They do have a tie up with Jungle Lodges for the Safaris. Windflower is very close to the Bandipur Forest Office and access are on good roads all the way.

Bamboo Banks is a different experience, with the quality of the food for example a lot better. Yes, Annexe is closer to the office complex but Acacia has a vast expanse of open front with lovely views. Acacia is a short walk from the dining and common area and if your parents do not want to do it back and forth, then the Annexe is the best bet.

regards

Rajan

India
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Thanks a ton Rajan! Amazing that you have visited each of these places and know the pros and cons of each so well! Well then I'll trouble you with one more resort which is suddenly showing availability (Dec Xmas time is getting booked fast) :Dholes Den. Rates are similar to Windflower. So the choice now is between these three. Since my daughter is with us, I'm also looking at activities within the resort so Bsmboo banks has slight advantage of horse riding while Dholes den has friendly dogs! So choice is getting tougher!

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Thanks, when you are passionate about the wilds (i'm doubly lucky that my family has taken to it too, and we are wildlife freaks) and spend all your holidays and long weekends in the jungles, you try and experiment almost all the good resorts in the area. Since Bandipur, Masinagudi, Kabini, Valparai, Parambikulam etc are second homes to us and a weekend is enough reason for us to pack our lenses and bags, we have been to pretty much most of the resort in these areas.

On Dholes Den, this is a favorite place for us when our stay straddles more than 3 or 4 days. Reason being, you can get what you want cooked, which is easy on the stomach for longer stays, and the owners and the staff are some of the best in the business. The other reason this is our favorite for long stays is, this is one of the few places in that area which offers WiFi. Lastly they have some great dogs (my favorites - Shaka and Zulu) which are a treat to be with.

Yes, you have a tough choice to make, especially since this is the first time for you. But between the ones shortlisted, you will not regret any . . .

regards

Rajan

Edited: 16 October 2013, 14:33
India
Level Contributor
56 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Thanks a lot Rajan! Let me ponder over all these choices and your suggestions are going to be a big help!

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

Hi

I missed out recommending another nice place in Masinagudi: http://www.innthewild.com/index.php

Credit for reminding me on this should go to AshishBalaji, who had posted this in another thread. Another place which you can shortlist and look up for your reviews.

regards

Rajan

10. Re: Help in choosing Masinagudi resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 16:05
Get answers to your questions about Masinagudi