We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

Bombay
Level Contributor
17 posts
216 reviews
Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

I am from Mumbai. Planning on a 3 day trip to Masinagudi and Kabini. My research leads me to believe that Coimbatore would be the closest airport to get to Masinagudi. Our tentative itinerary is as follows. Please advise if this is doable and the routes to be taken along with travel times.

Sep 13 - Drive from Coimbatore to Masinagudi. Stay 2 nights in Masinagudi.

Sep 15 - Drive from Masinagudi via Bandipur to Kabini. Stay 1 night in Kabini.

Sep 16 - Drive from Kabini to Coimbatore. Rest one night in Coimbatore.

Sep 17 - Flight to Mumbai

Does this itinerary look okay? Or should I fly back from Bangalore instead? Could you also let me know if the routes mentioned above pass through forest reserves. If the drive from Kabini to Coimbatore is a picturesque drive we don't mind the longer route.

Would also appreciate any help I can get selecting resorts. We would like unfenced resorts/some place where we can see animals from our resort. Preferably an eco friendly resort & one which is in harmony with nature & wildlife.

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

If you plan to visit Masinagudi and Kabini, you are better off taking a flight into Bangalore, take a train to Mysore, a cab to Kabini, cab back to Mysore, a cab to Bandipur and Masinagudi, back to Mysore and train to Bangalore to exit to Mumbai from Bangalore.

On resorts at Kabini, your best bet is Kabini River Lodge (part of the Jungle Lodges group) where your safaris are take care off. For stay at Masinagudi, check out "Inn the Wild" for the unfenced set up. Other options include the Mahindra property (Zest) or BAmboo Banks etc. Jungle Lodges at BAndipur would be your best bet.

Bombay
Level Contributor
17 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

Thank you. Wouldn’t Coimbatore airport be closer to Masinagudi? We have shortlist two resorts - Wild Walkers and Leopard Rock in Kalhatty. Bison in Kabini. I haven’t booked yet but will check your suggestions before I do so.

As per your advice, I’m not sure why we would need to travel to Mysore twice. We will be renting one cab for all 3 nights so we will have the car to our disposal. I’m confused.

Galaxy
Level Contributor
721 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

Coimbatore is closer to Masinagudi and the mountain route passes through Coonoor and Ooty - scenic definitely..

Edited: 14 July 2018, 20:15
Bombay
Level Contributor
17 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

Thank you. That’s what I thought.

Chennai (Madras...
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice

Hi

Yes, Coimbatore is a lot closer to Masinagudi, but the point is the interstate travel as well as ghat road travel and the related rates.

If you fly into Coimbatore, hire a cab to Masinagudi, take the cab to Kabini, and drive all the way back to Coimbatore, you are talking about a distance of almost 420 kms, out of which Coimbatore to Ooty (90 kms), Ooty to Kalhaty foot hills (30 Kms) are ghat roads (higher cab rates). Apart from this, you cab will also attract interstate boundary taxes. Hence my suggestion of a mix of train / cab

Fly into Bangalore - take a train to Mysore - a cab drop at Kabini, hire a cab from Kabini to Masinagudi, Take a call if you want a short 45 minute drive up to Ooty or get back to Bangalore from Masinagudi. It will work out a lot better.

Your other option, fly into Coimbatore, cab to Mettupalayam take a toy train from Mettupalayam to Ooty, a day or two at Ooty, cab to Masinagudi, stay there, hire a cab to drop you at Kabini, get to Bangalore and fly out.

regards

Reply to: Coimbatore - Masinagudi - Kabini - travel advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masinagudi