We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarkets

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
supermarkets

Are there any large supermarkets in the area?

6 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarkets

I don't have personal experience, but you might care to search nearby towns listed here:

http://www.map-france.com/Payrac-46350/

There are supermarkets in Sarlat, Gourdon and Souillac but if by "large supermarket" you mean a hypermarché, you could drive to Brive where there are three: Carrefour, E.Leclerc and Géant (Malemort).

I'm sure you will receive other (better?) suggestions soon!

Edited: 18 October 2015, 06:43
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarkets

Both Souillac and Gourdon have hypermarches.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarkets

There are supermarkets all over here. Hypermarchés not so much. How big does it have to be? There are also fresh markets every day of the week, somewhere nearby.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarkets

Hypermarche when defined as a shop that carries clothing, auto parts, brooms, tablecloths-- i.e., not just food (and well beyond the normal non-food offerings of toilet paper and similar)

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarkets

They are also called grandes surfaces. Some of them are so big the employees are on rollerskates. You can get lost in one of them for weeks. Unless you need trucksful of things, it's just a big time-suck to visit them.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarkets

Even the old Leclerc in Sarlat was what I'm counting as a hypermarche -- and the Souillac one was nicer than the old one in Sarlat.

Having lived in France, wandering a grocery isn't the attraction it once was...but now there's lists of things to buy that I can't buy in the US.

Reply to: supermarkets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Payrac
Recent Conversations