We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire or taxis?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire or taxis?

My husband and I are travelling to Phuket on the 8th May for 8 days and we were wondering if it'd be worth hiring a car or using taxi services?!

We would like to explore and visit Tiger Kingdom, shopping malls etc however, we are staying in Cape Panwa at Bandara which seems pretty far out!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire or taxis?

We just returned from Thailand and used taxis the entire time. We went from Mai Khao to Phuket Town (about 50 minute drive) for 1,000B. Just be sure to agree on a price ahead of time, as they aren't metered. Around Phuket Town, we got a taxi and used him for the whole day. It was low season, so he definitely wanted the business. He would meet us at whatever time we told him and it was so convenient to not have to keep picking a new taxi driver. I would suggest trying to do something similar.

Camarillo
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire or taxis?

Alex, can you tell me much you paid for your taxi to use them all day? We will be in Phuket next week, thanks.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
962 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire or taxis?

check the list of recommended drivers on the right, contact them. I paid 1300 for 7 hours I think and we went all over the island...

kent
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire or taxis?

Hi a lot easier to hire a car, you can come and go as you please, not tied to time, and if you are from UK you have the added benefit of driving on the left.

I have done it on many occasions without a problem.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
962 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire or taxis?

I would not want to drive myself in Phuket, but to each their own. Just if you do be careful, many blind turns, many tourists die in accidents, especially motorcycles, because they drive/ride off cliffs. If it is only for one day, best to choose a driver from the list on the right and let them do the driving for you.

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire or taxis?

I think hiring a car for just pootling around town is a mistake.....however, if you intend to explore ten it is easier to drive yourself than try to explain to a taxi driver....

PS - think twice about places likke Tiger Kingdom - just google "tiger + Thailand" and see what you get.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
962 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire or taxis?

wilco makes a good point about Tiger Kingdom, however I am not sure where he was going with it, but I am putting my two cents in on this one.. Animal tourism is disgusting, but to each their own. Riding elephants actually hurts them if you sit on their backs, and how they are treated is not good. I would venture to say that Tiger Kingdom does not treat their animals well, or they drug them, etc. And their purpose is to turn a profit, so the care of the animals is probably not their priority, and supporting such ventures only encourages more people to do it. Ok, I will stop there, you have to make the decision for yourself.

If you only plan to go out one or two days hire a driver or guide. I hired a driver, no guide, they knew where I wanted to go, they could speak English. I used one of the services on the right side for it. Everything went fairly well, I even left a couple of shopping bags in the car when I went to eat and see other things. No issues, the driver waits for you. I will say you cannot do too much in one day due to distances and traffic. I spent 7 hours, saw a lot, but not all I wanted to, again cost only 1300 for like 7 hours of driving around. Some companies will charge a bit more like 1500 or something like that. All reasonable if you ask me because calling a taxi to all those places might be over 3000 unless you work something out with them in advance.

Hyderabad
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire or taxis?

Thanks for all your mails. I planned to visit Phuket in August so I will hire a taxi and roam around the town.

Ottawa, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire or taxis?

I do not see any list to the right - where do I find such a list?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
962 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire or taxis?

Main page of Phuket forum sis here: https:/…ShowForum-g293920-i5037-Phuket.html

Specifically the link you want is here: https:/…Finding.A.Tour.Guide.html Scroll down to Phuket. This is the Thailand: Finding a Tour Guide FAQ, scroll down a little on the page.

I thought the FAQ would be available on every sub-page but apparently not.

Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town