We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Which Phuket Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Hi just wondering what items you cant bring back to Aus. Would shells be okay. Thanks 4 feedback

Rockingham...
Level Contributor
601 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Could be wrong, but I think shells are a no no.

Bend Oregon
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Just a sidenote...

Brought Turkey Jerky in from US, told customs and still got fined $186.00!!

Asked to see supervisior, "none available"

Not best welcome in Brisbane.....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Hi, we just got back, and the main questions we were asked by a couple of different people at customs, Do you have any photo frames or shells?

Other people told us they had nuts etc and had declared them but did not have any questions about that, so it would seem the shells and frames are more important.

Save Reply
44. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Hi I have a friend who is moving to oz with her family and wants to know if a wooden toy Train track and and trains would be ok to take with them as her little boy will not leave them??? Thanks for any help anyone can give?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

No problem to bring them in ... but as they are made of wood, they must still be declared on the customs declaration.

The only hitch could be if they had been used outside and were encrusted with dirt/soil ... in which case make sure they look nice and clean ... or if the wood was infested with borers or some other pest.

:-)

Darkan, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Yes you can bring them into Australia. Just declare them at customs.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

I have 3 mozzie zappers never had a problem bringing them in.

Hervey

Blue Haven...
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

Last year i was refused sale of a thai whiskey (Pantip or Mekong?) at the airport duty free (Suvarnabhumi) showing me a list of countries where it was banned, including australia. They couldn't tell me why is was banned though. This year i'll buy it at a bottleshop & stuff it in the suitcase like ive done in the past.

Also cardboard/paper photo albums are ok, but the wooden toggles get removed by customs.....

Perth
Level Contributor
458 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

My friend has brought back shells from Bali a few years ago. Now I am no expert on shells but at the time, there was a list of endangered species shells and these were definitely a no. However she knew her shells and knew the ones to bring in. The rules may have changed and understandably species need to be protected. I would ring customs/quarantine or check their website.

Sometimes it depends on what officer you get. As an example another friend had vanilla beans seized at the airport but three days later a work colleague declared hers and got through. We had also got through with vanilla beans a few months earlier.

My rule of thumb is, if in doubt, only pay and buy what you are prepared to lose. If you get through, then great. Otherwise if you don't the financial loss was not so bad.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Things you are not allowed to bring back 2 Australia

I have bought back shell wall hangings quite a few times with no problems, so long as you declare them they will be checked and passed unless like Liem says there are endangered ones etc. The general common beach shell ones are fine, customs said they look for a rare South African shell that is illegal to bring in.

Cathy

Get answers to your questions about Phuket Town
Recent Conversations