We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

katanoi or ko tao?

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
katanoi or ko tao?

Just wondering about our first trip to Thailand. Only have 3 weeks and may have to choose between Katanoi beach in Phuket and Tanote Bay beach on Ko Tao. Might get to both but we like to snorkel right off the beach (or shore). Yes, we take a boat snorkel trip too, but like to look at things on twice daily swims.

We go out and party quite a bit in our town here in the USA, so nightlife on vacation is irrelevant to us 50 yr. olds.

Any opinions on which island (beach) is more enjoyable for us?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Hi

When are you going? That can have a major impact on where you should go.

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

End of February and 1st 2 weeks of March

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Koh Tao is a backpackers paradise, sound slike you'd enjoy Kata Noi more.

des moines
Level Contributor
44 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Backpackers or not --that is pretty much irrelevant. We like seafood and snorkeling from the shore. We love young people and spend a lot of time with them but we take the day shift while they take the night shift. Often we stay in places with a vibrant nightlife but we don't stay out late. But we don't care how much noise or how late anyone else stays up. Sunrise on the ocean is my favorite time.

We travel and vacation with one carry-on each so comfort-luxury is not so important. Again, snorkeling right off the shore is Number 1 in our minds.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
659 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

In terms of weather, kata noi will be a better choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Kata noi is one of my favorite beaches.But the snorkeling is nothing compared to ko tao , and many other spots . Consider a day trip to ko Racha from Phuket .nice spot Decent snorkeling. If you want great snorkeling from beach, consider. Ko Kradan, Ko Mook, Ko ngai . all south of Ko lanta int the Trang islands. Three weeks is tons of time to move around a bit

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

"In terms of weather, kata noi will be a better choice."

There is far less difference in weather than most people think, and in February March it tends to be ok all over Thailand.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Where you want to stay in Koh Tao is quite hard to get to, no nearby facilities I would imagine. Been 10 years since I have been there.

If you need some modern conveniences such as electricity at night, and banks/stores some good restaurant options then Kata Noi.

House Reef off Kata Noi and Kata Beach (10 min walk)

Easy to access local long tail boats to other spots.

If you can ride a motorbike then small other coves can be found (Siam Bay).

Best snorkeling trip boat http://www.lamoet.com for trips to Phi Phi (website is in Swedish but guides speak English)

Koh Tao also takes a long time to get too. ... long boat trip. or expensive speed boat trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

Just back from kata noi, stayed in patong on my last trip and I would love to go back to kata. The beach is beautiful & a very short walkfrom where I stayed (kata palm). There are many restaurants, tailors & spas around.You could hire a taxi from where you are staying & go around. Look for a ocean view room to watch the sunrise - I went during the high season & most hotels were fully booked.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: katanoi or ko tao?

We have stayed at Kata beach in August - so very wavy and only snorkeled at PhI Phi. Stayed at Charm Churee on Koh Tao in May and it was sensational. We did the round island snorkeling tour and Jansom bay (where we stayed) was the best.

Tanote Bay would be a 30min taxi ride to anywhere else on Koh Tao so at night what you get there is what you have, where as in Kata Noi you could walk to Kata beach or get a tuk tuk to Karon or Patong in the same time.

For Snorkelers - I think Koh Tao is better - but do not know about the weather in Feb.

Koh Tao is (was 2007) less developed and laid back than Phuket and I would go back in a flash.

Best snorkeling (so far) - Taveuni (fiji).

Get answers to your questions about Kata Beach
Recent Conversations