We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wasps and mosquitoes

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
723 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Wasps and mosquitoes

Is there likely to be a problem with mosquitoes or wasps in August? We often visit the greek isands at this time of year but each place and visit has been different.

A couple of years ago in Corfu the wasps really were intrusive, they would hover around almost every meal we had, despite the waiters bringing out burning coffee to deter them. My sister was stung as she accidentally put her hand down on one. On a different holiday, my son had a bad reaction to a mosquito bite in Corfu and all of his mates were bitten despite using anti mosie products.

I will be taking our usual plug-in and mosie spray but just wondered how bad the mosie situation is in this part of Crete in August- and although I can live with spotting the occasional wasp, I'm hoping they won't be out in force as they were in Corfu the last time we were there.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wasps and mosquitoes

What recommendations for deterring them please?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
723 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wasps and mosquitoes

There are lots of anti mosquito products on the market. What works for some doesn't work for all. My sister swears by taking brewer's yeast for a couple of weeks before travelling. Others take garlic capsules or vit B tablets. For years I have used the Avon Skin so soft dry oil spray (original) as recommended by many others. It's always worked but last year I had a couple of bites despite using it. Bought some Autan family mossie repellant as advised by the travel rep and it worked a treat. No more bites.

Don't forget to use a room 'plug in' at night too.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wasps and mosquitoes

We always use the plug ins and autan spray but 20 yrs ago I was bitten badly , an elderly Greek lady told me that mosquitos hate lavender so I buy a bottle of lavender water from boots and dispense it into a platic spray bottle , I've just bought a new bottle £4.98 . Before going out on an evening I spray my legs feet and so on . I have always used it on my children , who in turn now use it on my Grandchildren , touch wood no more bites . The fragrance is not too strong and it is really refreshing . My other tip is don't wear perfume or aftershave as this attracts the mosquitos . There ends my sermon , have a good holiday .

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wasps and mosquitoes

I'm not going until October, will they be dead and gone by then? Asks hopefully

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
723 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wasps and mosquitoes

Hi Dianne, I have this year's stock of repelents at the ready but if they don't work can you tell me where you buy the bottles of lavendar water please? I will try them next year. Thanks

Reply to: Wasps and mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stalos
Recent Conversations