We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santander Department Travel Advisory

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Santander Department Travel Advisory

Hi all, I was initially looking to travel to Barichara and San Gil, until I've read on the Canada's travel advisory website that the Santander department, which both cities fall under, is classified as "Avoid non-essential travel".

The website also states "Santander (excluding the cities of Bucaramanga, Barichara, Socorro, San Gil and Girón)", which I guess could imply the cities are safe. But am not feeling very comfortable with the fact that the area's classification, and its close proximity to North Santander, which is a no-go zone.

Can anyone who lived there or traveled there recently provide your thoughts or comments?

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/colombia…

Mentioned in this post
Barichara
Barichara
Santander Department, Colombia
San Gil
San Gil
Bucaramanga
Bucaramanga
5 replies to this topic
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santander Department Travel Advisory

We are looking at visiting (again) Bucaramunga, Barichara, San Gil and Guadalupe next week by car and have no hesitation going to this area (with our 2 year old). My Australian friend just got back from there a week or two ago, and his girlfriend just returned yesterday. It is a lovely area, and you are unlikely to run into any trouble as a tourist. Your biggest threat is being run over crossing the road or being in a vehicle accident.

In Colombia (for eg), around Medellin, the Australia government advises against travel to Antioqia except Medellin - if people followed the advice, we would not be going to Jardin, Santa fe, Guatape etc. Government websites are set up to cover their behinds basically. I note your one also states the same although includes Carmen de Viboral as safe, which is further out than some other towns.

Enjoy your trip and just follow normal safety precautions.

Mentioned in this post
Barichara
Barichara
San Gil
San Gil
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Medellin
Medellin
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Guatape
Guatape
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Carmen
Carmen
1,393 Reviews
Medellin, Colombia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santander Department Travel Advisory

Thank you so much - I really appreciate the thoughtful response!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
867 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santander Department Travel Advisory

I can’t think of a place in Santander that isn’t safe for tourists, including places of no tourist interest. Now Norte de Santander, unfortunately that’s a different matter.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 08:19
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santander Department Travel Advisory

Safety issues more likely in North Santander's remote regions and bordering Venezuela. Bucramanga,Barichara,Guanes,Cañón pueblos are perfectly safe.Scan local newspapers,reliable news sources for news reports.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 03:45
Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Barichara
Barichara
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor