We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
277 posts
55 reviews
sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

I've just seen something on the Vinzi Café facebook page which seems to suggest that there is some new legislation about use of the beach. I'll put a picture of the notice in my photos.

7 replies to this topic
Amble, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

looks like the mayor has stopped them putting sunbeds out, to protect the beach ???? there were some Caretta turtle nests a couple of years ago, maybe this ??

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
277 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

hmmm...maybe. However if people are allowed to use the beach e.g. kids with buckets and spades etc it could still affect the turtles. Maybe it's temporary.

I expect marina at Vinzi is cross as it will affect her business

Edited: 29 July 2018, 03:01
Amble, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

I bet she is xx I loved nothing better than her sun bed drinks service !!! mind you Barba Andreas also had beds there, they will lose money too, maybe the Mayor has upped the contract price (or keeping it for his cousin !!!) xxx

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

are there still bed at the Costas Taverna on the other beach ???

Chania Prefecture...
Destination Expert
for Almyrida, Crete
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

I haven't been to Panormos for a few months, but usually in Crete, where any caretta caretta nest is found, they put signs up & hazard tape or sort of upturned dustbin shaped signs. I don't recall them closing a beach. The most important thing is that the Archelon (turtle protection charity) do is try to negotiate with the local council & hotels etc to turn off lights behind the beach. In many areas now, if there are lampposts, the lights have been covered on the water side.

The most likely scenario is the cafes know the sunbed permit inspectors are on their way, in which case probably the sunbeds will be back very soon!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

There was tape up at the beginning of the month at the beach to the left near the big hotel, we assumed this was for the turtles. We have always preferred the beach near cafe akth, is a little less hectic than the others

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
277 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??

the photo of the poster is in my photo section - it's in Greek. If anyone can read it we might know more.

@Karen - I don't know about Costa's beds...

Reply to: sun loungers / swimming in the harbour - new legislation??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panormos
More Panormos Topics