We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation for mum!!

Queenstown, New...
1 post
Save Topic
accommodation for mum!!

Getting my mother to agree to come to our wedding at Muri Beach in May 2011 has been a mission and now that she has agreed she's worried about where she will stay. She will be 70 and travelling by herself. She's nervous about being there by herself (even though there will be acquaintances & family nearby) so I'm thinking a B&B would be a good solution for her but am not sure of the best options available at Muri. A hotel will be too expensive for her but she wants somewhere where breakfast is catered for or at least has facilities can she can make her own cuppa & toast. Can anyone offer some advice??

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
624 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation for mum!!

The only B & B that I am aware of is Ambala Gardens. But someone else may know of others.

Have you checked out the holiday rentals around where the rest of the family are staying to see if there is anything close by that is reasonably priced. Quite a lot of the accom is studio based so would mean that she would be able to make her own cup of tea but wouldnt be rattling around on her own.

I am sure once she gets to Rarotonga she will feel much more comfortable. It is one of he easiest, safest places I know of to travel to. And will be made much easier for her if she is travelling on her own in that everyone speaks English and of course it is kiwi money. On top of that everyone is just so friendly. I am sure she will have a fabulous time.

Good luck in finding somewhere that she will be happy with.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation for mum!!

You might like to check out Muri beachcomber which has self catering units on the beach at Muri. We always stay there and there are usually some ladies who are travelling alone as well as couples. Its a lovely place to stay and the staff make everyone feel so welcome. The units are self contained and very clean and comfortable. I suppose it depends on where the rest of the family will be staying but I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Beachcomber on my own.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation for mum!!

I was thinking about staying at the Beachcomber with hubbie as it looked really central to things but also very clean and modern.

If it was my mum I recon she'd be happy at this location, but I suspect she'd want to be near where everyone else was staying.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation for mum!!

We've stayed at the Beachcomber over a dozen times and its lovely, right on the beach and its central for most things - a couple of hotels and restaurants in walking distance along the beach. There is also a very good takeaway on the main road outside the property and a small supermarket with great cakes - check out the hokey pokey muffins - yum!. Of course there is also the self catering option with a small but perfectly formed kitchen with everything you need to prepare a simple meal plus BBQs dotted around the property. Breakfast is usually provided - cereals, bread, butter, jams etc and tea and coffee always in the room.

The Cook Islands are a magical place - we keep on being pulled back despite the length of the journey for us - a few days chilling on the loungers and we're back to normal!

Wherever you decide to stay I'm sure you will be put under the spell!!

Jacinta - I wouldn't hesitate for my mum to stay there, everyone is so friendly, she will love it but again I suppose its cost and where everyone else is staying. Will you be staying on Muri Beach?

Jackie

5. Re: accommodation for mum!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 16:30