We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranthambore Tiger Reserve

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
1,010 reviews
629 helpful votes
Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

We have planned a visit next March to the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve but one of our party of four thinks it may be a waste of time ( we're on a tight three week schedule ) as it is unlikely we will see a tiger. Anyone got any tips on what form of transport ( there are two types I understand ) we should look at, the best time of day, morning or afternoon, and whether we can influence the zone within the park we would get to see. I am trying to establish a case for going and if I can then what is the best way of increasing our chances of a tiger encounter? Many thanks.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
41 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

It's a bt of an odds game - the more safaris you do, the more chance of seeing a tiger. There is no choice of zone - that's decided by the Park. It's though a jeep may give you more chance of spotting, but we went in a jeep and a canter followed us everywhere. You could stay two nights, do four safaris and still see no tigers. But you WILL see a lot of other wildlife! The early safari is very early and starts cold and dark. We enjoyed the Park, loved to see the wildlife (no tigers) and especially the semi-tame birds that came to be fed when we stopped at one point. The hotel had breakfast waiting when we got back. In the evening, dinner was out by a big fire in the grounds. late morning-afternoon was chill time.

Altogether a different experience and a break from forts, temples and palaces which I'd recommend.

2. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2019, 21:29
Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

We have just returned from Ranthambore and did 10 Safaris, 5 morning and 5 afternoon. We didn't see any tigers for the first 6 drives, but on drive 7, saw our first one, a male. The following morning we were treated to a close up sighting of a tigress and her three cubs. Then to finish, on our last drive we saw the one that all the locals are frightened of, because he gets out of the park. The rest of the wildlife is fantastic as is the park itself so it isn't just about the tigers. We didn't see a leopard, although someone who was staying at the same hotel as us did. We also didn't find a sloth bear, although we did see fresh footprints. So you do have to be patient if you are going just to see the tigers. You have to bear in mind that tourists are only allowed into 20% of the park too.

Bikaner. India.
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
4. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

There are no grantees of spotting a Tiger in the wild. Ranthambhore offers one of the best chances anywhere in the World to observe these beautiful cats in natural surroundings. Hope you make it to Ranthambhore. Advance bookings for 6 seat vehicles are done 3 months in advance www.rajasthanwildlife.in

Cheers.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
58 posts
5. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

Though you are not gauranteed to see a tiger but there are good chances to see tiger in ranthambore, you cannot influence the zone you get and as per my experience there are more chances to see a tiger in afternoon safaris. Ranthambore is one of the best national parks in the country and is definately worth a visit.

Cheers

Shubham

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
1,010 reviews
629 helpful votes
6. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

Thanks everyone for your input.

We are on a tight schedule and could only make one morning visit. As a result we have decided to give Ranthambore a miss. But many thanks for your comments as they assisted us in making the decision. I was actually still keen to give it a try but collectively we have decided not to.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
20 helpful votes
7. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

We went in December 2012 for 1 day and didnt see any tigers at all. We went on the most commonly seen tiger route (route 9), but sitll nothing at all. It was very dissapointing.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

you are one lucky woman let me tell you.

WOW

i am excited though .. .i will be travelling this 23rd.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
99 reviews
58 helpful votes
9. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

Its always a gamble, but the odds are pretty good in end March as the summer starts to set in. We were in Ranthambhore in December (the worst month for tiger sightings), and managed to spot one in 2 out of our 4 safaris. Luck plays a bigger factor than anything else I guess.

There are about 53 tigers in the reserve, split into 6 main zones. If you are doing 4 or more safaris in March, you would have to be unlucky to not get even one sighting. The best form of transport is the gypsy (the canter is not even close to what a gypsy can offer), but you would need to book really early - bookings open 90 days in advance, and since they allow only 20 jeeps in a slot in the entire park, they get booked out quite fast. You can book online or ask your hotel to do it

Indore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
46 reviews
32 helpful votes
10. Re: Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
Save

Hi Lama,

you need not to be disappointed here .. .you were there only for one day...for GOD sake its a TIGER what we are talking about ..:-)

be there for atleast 3 - 4 days and take 4 or more safaris as suggested in comments ... .you will be pleased

USDUSD
Australia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.