We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
255 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

We woke up and got on the scenic railway. What a cool train. It was great to see the countryside as we headed towards Kuranda. We passed some waterfalls, through tunnels and over mountain tops. Overall it was a nice experience.

Kuranda was a neat town. I highly suggest getting the mango ice cream at the store right when you get off the train. It was the best ice cream I've ever had.

We walked past all of the tourist shops and headed for the Kuranda Koala Gardens. This was a neat little zoo. Fortunately the koala was out and you could get pictures with it. You could also walk through the petting zoo and feed roos...although they looked like they were tired and annoyed with all the visitors and pictures.

We then got on the skyrail which was awesome. It was so quiet and you could hear all of the birds and animal noises in the tree tops and throughout the forest.

We got off at both stops down the mountain and had some great views of the falls and forest. We saw a cassowarie. Apparently there's only about 1,500 of them left.

We got back to the hotel, grabbed our bags and headed to the airport.

We had a wonderful time in Cairns. As we took off I thought about our short stay in Cairns.

Pros:

People of Cairns - so friendly, helpful and they loved my southern accent. The bar tender at the Hilton lobby bar was so cute and she gave me a great history lesson on Australia. It was a pleasure talking to her

Food - both Dundees and Salt House were awesome

Stay - really enjoyed the Hilton

Scenery - amazing with the water, mountains and clouds forming along the mountains

Weather - even though it was muggy and rainy, I feel like that was perfect for the environment we were in. Tropical! Funny that it rained in downtown Cairns but not a single drop in the rainforest.

Airport - so easy and security was so friendly and funny

Cons

Excursion crowds - with the heat, being packed like sardines with hundreds of people wasn't fun

Green Island - total tourist trap / depressing croc park

Hilton's breakfast buffet - ONLY issue we had with Hilton. Very bad

No beach access. Was told best beach was 30 minute cab ride

Thanks to all of you for your help and answering my questions about Cairns. We hope to visit again!

Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

Nice trip report we hope to visit next month. Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
21,642 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

I wonder if that was the same cassowary we saw last month. He was just a junior fellow, at the Barron Falls stop. I too enjoyed the Cairns district. We had a week there and couldn't see it all.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,569 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you enjoyed Cairns.. for the beach you need to stay at Port Douglas it has a lovely beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

Thank you for the trip report. So pleased you enjoyed your stay.

The Kuranda train has laways been a wonderful experience and the history of its construction was fraught with almost every kind of problem you could imagine and is a fascinating story.

To experience good beaches you really need to be clear of the barrier reef, meaning south of Rockhampton if you want surf.

5. Re: Trip report: Kuranda Scenic Railway / final thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 05:01
Get answers to your questions about Cairns Region