We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Topic
Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

We are visiting the area for our honeymoon next month. We are staying at Kerrawa Beach and at Thala Lodge. We would like to take a trip to the outer reef, but we want a trip with a semisubmersible or glass bottom boat. We don't dive and I can't swim so we can try to snorkle for a time, but want something that is not too long. I was thinking about Quicksilver.

Also we wanted to visit the Rainforest. I know we want to do Breakfast with the Birds or Lunch with the Lorikeets. We also wanted to do an hour or so Daintree River Cruise, perhaps even the Discovery Center. We have a car so I am not sure if we have to take a whole day tour. We want to see nice scenery. Please help. I am so confused and lost about this. Thank you so much.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

I took Quicksilver to the Low Isles. This is ideal for bin-swimmers. You are based on a small beach and can walk in shallow, calm water. You can see the coral and fish very close to the beach. They also have a glass bottom boat ride

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

Thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

Having been to both the Low Isles and the Outer Reef (although not with Quicksilver), based on your criteria, I think the Low Isles trip will be the better choice for you.

A good visit to the Wildlife Habitat, including Breakfast with the Birds or Lunch with the Lorikeets, will take you 3 hours or so. You won't have time in the same day to make a trip to Daintree N.P., but you could go to the rainforest at Mossman Gorge. There's a good circuit hike there through the rainforest that only takes an hour or so to walk. Save Daintree for when you have a full day to devote to it.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

Hi

I think you should go somewhere like Green Island or maybe Low Isles don't go out to the outer reef if you cant swim

You could ask Jane at Kewarra Beach Resort or the staff at Thala they will help you but make sure you tell them you cant Swim we don't want to have a accident out on the Reef

What about a trip up to the Tablelands some lovely places up there lots of Waterfalls

Regards mosiewigs

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

The Low Isles may be a good choice for us. We are on our honeymoon. Would we be missing out on much to go to the Low Isles instead of the outer reef? However, if both of us are afraid of snorkeling, then it may be our best option.

I may have found a solution for the rainforest. We could do the Breakfast with the Birds and Rainforest Habitat in the morning. Then Daintree Discovery Tours has a half day tour that starts at 1:15pm that does the River Cruise and goes to Mossman Gorge. Does anyone have any information about this? Would we be covering most of what we need to see? Or are we missing alot? I don't know if Cape Tribulation is part of this or not. I appreciate any input that I receive. Thank you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

No, you are not going to miss out on that much by going to the Low Isles rather than the Outer Reef. First of all, I think you will feel more comfortable in the water at the Low Isles, so you'll enjoy it more than if you were at the Outer Reef. Secondly, there's still lots of fish, coral and sea turtles at the Low Isles, so you'll see a lot.

I took a look at the half-day tour offered by Daintree Discovery Tours. While it may be a good tour for people without transportation, I think you could easily do the same thing on your own since you have a car for a whole lot less money. If you want to do it on your own, I'd drive to Daintree first and do a river cruise and then stop by Mossman Gorge on your way back and walk as far as you want or have time for. You should have time at least to get to the swing bridge, which is probably just as far as you go on the Daintree Discovery Tour.

Edited: 05 August 2011, 14:31
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

firstly don't get stressed trying to arrange everything before you get here. Its very laid back and relaxed up here and the staff at Kewarra and Thala and at the information centres will all help you find something just great. Some of the reef tours go out to fixed pontoons or platforms where they have glass bottomed boats and they do fish feeding right at the platform so you don't even have to get wet to see the fish. Even the other larger boats that go out to the outer reef feed the fish from the boat and you can see lots just sitting on the end of the boat with your feet in the water. The big boats have steps that go down the back of the boat into the water so you could even sit on a step, hang onto the railing and see the fish if you didn't want to go all the way in. They all have lifejackets and floatation devices for non swimmers to hang on to too. I woldn't recommend that you go to Green Island as I don't believe you will see as many fish there as you would on one of the reef cruises.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
731 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

Thank you. That is a relief. It would be nice to be able to enjoy the reef without having to worry about drowning. I sent an email to the hotel.

9. Re: Totally Lost about Reef for Non-Diver and Rainforest Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:17