We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

2 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

Hello, Our family will be traveling to Japan this April and I would like to know the best way to get from Tokyo to Hakuba and from Hakuba to Kyoto.

Basically we are arriving in Tokyo and heading to Hakuba for 6 days, from Hakuba we will head to Kyoto for 3 days and then return to Tokyo. Is it worth purchasing the rail pass for 3 days of travel?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Best,

CK

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

In your case involving six days interval in Hakuba, a standard JR Pass for 14 days is not an economizing purchase. The natural thing to do is either purchase train tickets for your each leg or go by bus (or have a mix of train and bus). As I do not know how old your children are I cannot determine the exact fare; you can do that with the help of Hyperdia and Jorudan search engines.

Edited: 16 February 2018, 06:56
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

Browse this page for child fare applications on JR trains: www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/types.html…

Edited: 16 February 2018, 07:04
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

With 3 kids and luggage, consider Alpico bus from either Tokyo Narita or Haneda to Hakuba one-way direct.

https:/…

Even if you take JR trains (including Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano), no JR Pass pays off for your entire itin. Just buy single tickets if you do so.

Edited: 16 February 2018, 13:58
Melbourne
Level Contributor
205 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children

Hi Claudia k - am wondering what you decided to do and how you travelled from Tokyo to Hakuba and then onto Kyoto and back to Tokyo please. Am looking at doing this ourselves next Feb :)

Reply to: Tokyo to Hakuba, Hakuba to Kyoto with 3 children
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted