We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
205 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

After suggestions for my son and friend in Hakuba - what particular area would you recommend.

Just the two of them but don’t really want a party place or backpackers, would prefer their own room with 2 single beds. Would also prefer western style beds rather than Japanese style tatami mats (been there, tried them, wasn’t a fan)

Would like easy access to dinner places (more casual style than upmarket) and a bar although neither of them are big drinkers or party animals.

First time travelers in their own although have been with family previously.

Any suggestions would be very helpful - especially for me (mum) to have some piece of mind.

4 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

Consider Happo-one village where the Hakuba bus terminal is. Some traditional onsen ryokans offer western style twin rooms, apart from hotels. Casual and local izakayas, restaurants, bars, convenience stores are accessible on foot.

ps. Just returned from Hakuba from my 6th ski there 3 weeks ago.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
205 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

Now looks like 3 will be traveling - unfortunately one is a beginner and despite my voicing my objections to the impracticality of having 2 skiers and 1 beginner they are all keen as the one week skiing is part of a 3 week trip (Tokyo beforehand / Osaka and Kyoto after)

Would you still consider the Hakuba area.

I’m suggesting they get the beginner into a morning lesson each day - meet for lunch and maybe ski together in the arvo if beginner is still up for it ?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

I have booked my teenagers into snowboard lesson for the first 3 days at Goryu. I will ski with them on the first day but after that they are on their own. I'm expecting after 3 lessons they will be able to handle intermediate runs. The beginner skier may have to ski on their own for the first few days unless the other 2 are very patient. I wouldn't be waiting around for a beginner if it was me.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation suggestions for 20yo

#2,

Hakuba is definitely fine for them, so are your ideas.

Reply to: Accommodation suggestions for 20yo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hakuba-mura