We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Hakuba

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about Hakuba

Hi everyone,

sorry for the stupid question but I have googled and googled and i cant find my answer.

I dont understand how Hakuba works (normally when i go snowboarding there is one mountain and i just stay at the bottom ski in ski out nice and easy)

with Hakuba - there is 8 villages? Which one should I be staying in if i want to be walking distance to gondolas or ski in ski out. It would be great if we can be walking distance to some restaurants etc in case we miss the shuttle at night we can walk home. (by walking distance i mean under 3kms)

do you have any hotel recommendations? It just has to have breakfast, wifi and an onsen.

thanks from a confused traveler

5 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about Hakuba

There are indeed few villages lined up along the few ski resorts along the northen JP Alps in Hakuba.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6090.html

If you're at intermediate to advanced level, I'd recommend Happo-one, Goryu/Hakuba 47. The former is the largest with plenty of nice runs. It was the venue of the 1998 Winter Olympics. I usually stay in the Happo-one village with plenty of onsen ryokans/hotels, eateries, shops and where the bus terminal is.

ps. just skied there for 6th time 2 weeks ago.

Edited: 07 February 2018, 18:25
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about Hakuba

Most of the villages and hotels are connected by shuttle buses. You could visit several ski areas as mentioned above and maybe Tsugaike. ATM's are at the post office and 7Eleven store in Echoland. Most small businesses take cash. Checkout the tourist office website and their Essential Guide.

http://www.hakubatourism.jp/essentialguide/

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Edited: 07 February 2018, 21:41
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about Hakuba

Thank you both so much for your info.

I am intermediate and my partner is beginner. Shouldn’t take him long to pick up. Would you still recommend Happo one for beginner?

I will have a look at your links tonight thanks I appreciate it

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about Hakuba

For beginners, the slopes at the bases of Goryu and Tsugaike Kogen would be most suitable as they are super long and wide. Otherwise, the slopes in Sakka and parts of the Skyline courses in Happo-one would be suitable.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
211 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about Hakuba

@DLi_hk: What's your favourite resort there?

Edited: 18 February 2018, 17:56
Reply to: Confused about Hakuba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hakuba-mura