We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging ideas

North East
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lodging ideas

We are planning on traveling to wine country from San Francisco at the end of March. We have scheduled wine tours in the Kenwood area on Saturday (morning and afternoon). Presently, we plan to spend all day in Napa on Thursday, Thursday night and Friday. We thought our best option was to travel to the Kenwood area late Friday afternoon so our drive would be shorter for our 10:00am tour. Can someone suggest a hotel in the $150 range for Friday and Saturday? I've been looking in the Santa Rosa area which looks less than 10 miles away. There are a few including the Fountaingrove Inn.

Sunday afternoon is back to San Francisco via RT1 and stopping at the Marshall Oyster House for lunch.

Any suggestions are appreciated..

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging ideas

Why stay in a city when you can stay in the wine country? If you cannot find a lodging in Kenwood, try the town of Sonoma, which is historic and pretty, built around an 11-acre Plaza,during the Mexican occupation era, and only 6 or 7 miles from Kenwood, no city driving required.

There are some excellent restaurants around the Plaza.

Tty El Pueblo Inn, one of my favorites, reasonable and about a mile from the Plaza, or the Sonoma Valley Inn, nearer. On the Plaza look at the historic El Dorado and Sonoma Hotels.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 16:38
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging ideas

Why stay in Santa Rosa? Because the hotels are a LOT less expensive than in Kenwood or Sonoma. I've stayed in Sonoma and in Santa Rosa. For half the price, I'll take Santa Rosa and drive to Sonoma. The Courtyard Marriott in Santa Rosa has nice rooms for about $150 marriott.com/hotels/…

Just don't take a room on the top floor. The top floor rooms have slanted ceilings feel very confining. The rooms on the lower floors are quite nice and very large.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging ideas

OK, I would rather pay a little more and be in a more relaxing atmosphere than the county seat of Sonoma County.....I like to stay near the vineyards when I do the wine country.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging ideas

To get the charm of wine country, I would also recommend staying in Sonoma than in Santa Rosa but there is a price difference -- there are many deals one gets nowadays on Groupon or travel sites so one can shop around and get a better deal.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging ideas

The Flamingo Hotel is just a few miles west of Kenwood right on Hwy.12 in Santa Rosa and about 30 minutes from the ocean (Route1). I've had family stay there occasionally when they are in town and they liked it. Hank's Creekside, a local diner is across the street and an excellent place for breakfast.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging ideas

If you decide on Sonoma, The Best Western Plus Sonoma Valley Inn is a nice place to stay. Close to the Plaza and there is a heated pool, jacuzzi and continental breakfast included with your room.

Hotel El Doroado is another nice choice, right on the Plaza and across the street from one of our favorite restaurants, girl and the fig. Sonoma is a very charming place to stay with several fantastic wineries very close by.

Enjoy your time in the wine country! :)

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging ideas

I would second the Flamingo if you decide to stay in Santa Rosa. It's more convenient to the Sonoma Hwy than some of other hotels, and is fairly close to the edge of town. And Hanks across the street is an excellent breakfast choice.

8. Re: Lodging ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:42