We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My partner doesn't drink...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
My partner doesn't drink...

We are interested in visiting wineries and maybe doing a tour or two, as my partner does not drink. I, do and want to do tastings also. Can anyone fill me in on what may or may not be available for him. Asides from standing around watching me swoon? Are there are some non-alcoholic offerings

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

I'm sure others can give some better answers, but since we were just there in early April and our friend's wife doesn't drink wine (migraines), I can kind of relate. At some, she would join us for the tasting and drink water, later in the days she would get bored and just find a table to sit it out. LOL There is always the option of walking around the property to check it out.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,258 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

Unless the winery has a restaurant, they don't usually have "non alcoholic offerings" available besides water. They are in business to sell wine.

It's great though to have your own personal driver who won't have to worry about being tipsy when driving.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,072 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

some wineries will have water -- some have olive oil tasting -- he can drink that ;-) . some have small gift shops that sell snacks, wine paraphernalia and local beverages -- again this won't be the case at the smaller wineries -- but Sonoma water is great and lovely to drink

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

>>maybe doing a tour or two<<

Most tours are very similar as the wine-making process is very similar. So if you want to do more than one tour, consider doing one sparkling wine tour and one regular tour.

Do you want something you can do together? Or a winery with something to occupy him while you're tasting?

You could pick wineries that have historic or unique buildings or settings: Sebastiani for the history (and their tram tour), Bartholomew Park because he can sit outside under the trees (maybe bring a picnic?), deRosa (between the Sonoma and Napa Valleys) for their art collection, BR Cohn for olive oil tasting (and rock museum memorabilia), Jacuzzi for balsamic tasting (check to make sure they still do this), and Cline has a collection of models of the California missions. Or you visit one of the wine tasting rooms around Sonoma Plaza while he hangs out in the park or the library.

Or places that do food/wine pairings will at least give him some snacks to nibble while you're tasting: Mayo Family Reserve Cellars, for one. (In fact, I'd call them in advance to see if they can figure out something to pair for him.)

NJ
Level Contributor
606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

Seghesio has a chefs menu lunch which has wine pairings but maybe you can ask if they have a different price if not drinking. Francis Ford Coppola has memorabilia from his director career including items from thr Godfather movies which is a nice option for something to see while you are tasting. A lot of places have a bocce ball court.

Last time we visited Napa our kids were with us and weren’t yet drinking age and we went to vineyards which had some things to keep them occupied. Mondavi had an interesting enough tour that our kids ended up asking lots of questions.

Ferrari Carano has beautiful gardens if of interest.

We will be in Sonoma in a couple of weeks but now they are of age.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 23:57
NJ
Level Contributor
606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

Castello di Amorosa is another option for a unique building.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

>>Francis Ford Coppola has memorabilia from his director career including items from thr Godfather movies which is a nice option for something to see while you are tasting.<<

I knew I'd forgotten something! They also have a pool area so he can get some sun and splashing in while you're sipping and swirling.

>>Castello di Amorosa is another option for a unique building.<<

True, but it's in the Napa Valley. However, if the OP is willing to consider outside Sonoma, there's also Round Pond in the Napa area with olive oil tasting. And Artesa does a chocolate and wine tasting.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,242 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

And, of course, you could bring along little bottles/cans of exotic non-alcoholic beverages so he can 'taste' along with others. Can you say "pomegranite-ginger-tangerine water?" Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you could fashion tasting menus" for your partner for each stop that you make and present it to him when you get seated (along with the drinks)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My partner doesn't drink...

Thank you! Just what I was wondering myself. I didn't know if it would be okay to bring in your own non-wine beverage to enjoy.

Reply to: My partner doesn't drink...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sonoma County
Recent Conversations