We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Singing Pub ( Downings)

ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
The Singing Pub ( Downings)

Hi can anyone give me directions to the Singing Pub please?

Their website is not up yet.

Any other olde worlde pubs around the Atlantic Drive area.

I am staying in Stranorlar for 2 days. What is the best way to do the Atlantic Drive? The best starting point etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
1. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

See if anything along this Good Food Taverns trail is of interest:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186601-i1145-k4481…

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

From Stranorlar, take the N13/N14 to Letterkenny and then head north on the N56 to Creeslough. Just before Creeslough, take take the R245 to Carrigart. As you enter Carriagart, there a turn to the left signposted for Downings. Drive into the village, along by the beach and basically follow the signposted route from the far end of the beach (above Downings Pier) clockwise around the headland.

The pub is about three/quarters way around the route, on the eastern side of the Rosguill Peninsula. From memory, it's on higher ground on the right hand side of the road, with the Mulroy Bay below on the left. I think that it's the only pub on the Atlantic Drive once you leave Downings.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

Sorry, haven't heard of the "Singing Pub" in or around Downings. Do you mean the Harbour Bar?

There's a lovely pub in Carraigairt (the name of which escapes me at the moment) which might fit the bill (first pub on the left as you turn left into Carraigairt from Downings).

Best way for the Atlantic Drive is to go through Downings (maybe have lunch in the Beach Hotel) and turn left at the top of the village. It's signposted. It's not a long drive but take your time, the views are spectacular! And a walk on Tra-na-Rossan is so good! Or along Tramore just behind the Rosapenna Golf Hotel. Five km of beach just for you!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

Ah Domhnall, you beat me to it. Yes, I think that's the pub. I don't remember the name (it's always closed when we're in Downings in early March) but your directions are spot on.

However, if you just want to go to this pub without taking in the Atlantic Drive (which would be a sin) you can also turn right in Downings (coming from Carraigairt) at the GAA pitch, follow the road and just beyond the school (on your right) turn left at the fork. The pub is just a few km beyond on your left.

ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
5. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

I posted a reply to you all but I think it went somewhere else.

Thanks for all your ideas and advise and I have already looked them all up.

I head off tomorrow all being well.

I might look into taking the ferry from Burtonport and hope the Singing pub will be open as a start.

It would appear that The Beachcomber bar in Rathmullan has some magnificent views.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

Take Care.

letterkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
6. Re: The Singing Pub ( Downings)

hi folks my husband and myself eat in The Singing Pub on the atlantic drive in downings tonight. we had two steaks plus all the trimmings. the steaks were done on a lava stone, never had a steak on a lava stone so it was a new experience and i can say i have never had anything like it. It was absolutely delicious, flavour and texture second to none would definately recommend one and the selection of sauces that accompany it are beautiful.Cannot wait to get back for another one. Staff are so friendly and helpful, A real gem for food and athmosphere. Well done from margaret

Reply to: The Singing Pub ( Downings)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Downings
Recent Conversations