We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

Campbelltown NSW
1 post
Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

One of the posts on this forum,Niec spoke of an ancestor Capt. Thomas Hansen who passed away in Cadmans Cottage. I too am a descendant of Capt Thomas Hansen, alhtough I only just found that our about a year ago, and I have former convicts on my Mums side from Nubeena and Hobart Tasmania. And to top it all off I'm a Kiwi. lol.

Love Tasmania, my grandfather spoke so lovingly of it and told us stories of his youth. He was born in 1876 and his grandparents were both convicts.

7 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,982 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

We'll look forward to you making a trip down this way, David. Low Head is always worth a visit. :)

Luigi

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

Very interesting David, but I fear your post will get zapped as it isn't travel related.

Lots of kiwis and Aussies have Aussie and Kiwi ancestors.. we are family, not just friends as our respective Prime Ministers reaffirm from time to time.

In my case, I discovered when I went to NZ that the biscuit slice my grandmother used to make is actually an afghan slice. I figure she probably got it from her mother (my great grandmother) who was born and raised in Dunedin. Turns out I have heaps of kiwi relatives I had no idea about. One has been displaced by the Chch earthquake and has had to move more than once since.

Nothing quite so fascinating as convict ancestors is there? I only recently discovered we have just the one convict which is unusual. Usually if you have one you have more because they married other convicts or children of convicts.. mine married an Irish Orphan.. who I understand was considered even lower on the social ladder than the convicts.

So David, you'll need to plan a holiday to Tassie to explore your convict routes ;o) Do you know whether they were imprisoned in Port Arthur or at some other equally tourist worthy site?

Was Low Head a convict site? Are there relics there? I have to say I've not come across it when looking at what I should do when I get back to Tassie. :o)

Edited: 11 January 2012, 18:59
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,982 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

You should investigate it, Snodge. Its pilot station, dating from 1805, is the oldest in Australia. The buildings date from 1838. The lighthouse, dating from 1833, is Australia's third oldest. And there are penguins!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

Sounds awesome Luigi I shall definitely have a look at it. :o)

Tasmania
Level Contributor
479 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

And no it (Low Head Pilot Station) wasn't a convict site but there was a female factory in George Town which is nearby :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

thanks Lani :o)

I've been having a quick look at Low Head... they have some interesting local pastimes. Eg

"Golf Chicken Runs at the Chapel every Friday at 4.00pm from 1st October, 2011 during daylight saving, to the end of March, 2012. Bar open every week and barbecues are available for BYO food."

This is a new one on me as a catered event... but from the photograph it appears to be running across in front of a golfer in your underwear???

..or there seems to be a general invitation for people to come along and join in a game of crochet Monday and Thursday at 10.30am until approx. 12.30pm. Spare mallets are available for use.

Perhaps these activities might appeal to people visiting area who want to get together with some locals (?) Certainly I don't know of anywhere else offing a chicken run and a barbie on a regular basis. :o)

Am I remembering correctly? Was George Town the place where the second in command(?) in Sydney (the highest officer in the NSW Corp) was at the time of the Rum Rebellion? That area is definitely somewhere it would be interesting to go. I might spare the local population the spectacle that would be my participation in a chicken run... haha

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,982 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen

I think the original lighthouse (replaced in the 1880s) was convict built.

And your recollection is correct. Colonel William Paterson was in the Tamar establishing the third settlement there and Major Johnston (who was instrumental in the mutiny) was left in charge in Sydney.

Reply to: Cadmans Cotage and Capt. Thomas Hansen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Low Head